Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Thread: PS3 Price Drop
Blue Jedi 12:09 6th August 2007
Originally Posted by J T:
Has there ever been a really, truly successful add-on?

I can think of a fair few that weren't particularly successful (well, in the gaming sphere at least): Mega CD, Sega 32X, N64DD (was pretty much abandoned never released properly) - not to mention the tons of gimmicky peripherals like the nintendo power glove.

Originally Posted by Blue Jedi:
The Blue rays can hold alot more than a HD DVD and some of the new ones can even hold 500 gig and over double that.
I think you mean 50 gig. HD-DVD can't hold quite that much, but isn't leagues behind.
I was refering to some of thre new blue rays not new HD DVDs

The PS3 Blue rays can hold alot more than a HD DVD and some of the new blue rays can even hold 500 gig and over double that.
[Reply]
AlexJ 12:32 6th August 2007
I can think of a fair few that weren't particularly successful (well, in the gaming sphere at least): Mega CD, Sega 32X, N64DD (was pretty much abandoned never released properly) - not to mention the tons of gimmicky peripherals like the nintendo power glove.
Add-on wise, nothing I can think of. Peripherals, the only truly successful one I can think of was the Dual Shock. It took enough of the market from the original digital controller so that later games required it. Whether this counts I'm not sure as although it came 3 years after the PSX launched, it was bundled as standard with the console from late-1998 on.
[Reply]
Submeg 12:38 6th August 2007
Really? I though the Dual Shock came with PS2, there you go learn something new everyday.
[Reply]
Sharingan 12:43 6th August 2007
I believe there was an addon marketed Japan that plugged into a console controller port - said addon had a rumble function that could be used 'for the sexual pleasure of women'.

I'm not quite sure if this thing was a success or not, but I can't fault the engineers for thinking of creative uses for a console 'feature'
[Reply]
Blue Jedi 12:49 6th August 2007
I thought that aswell submeg dont dissagree with alex though you will get a head trying he gets confused.
[Reply]
J T 12:55 6th August 2007
Originally Posted by Sharingan:
I believe there was an addon marketed Japan that plugged into a console controller port - said addon had a rumble function that could be used 'for the sexual pleasure of women'.

I'm not quite sure if this thing was a success or not, but I can't fault the engineers for thinking of creative uses for a console 'feature'
You aren't thinking of the Rez Trance-vibrator are you? I never did get into Rez, plus it made my eyes go a bit squiffy. But it (and the trance-vibrator) has somewhat a cult following.

Originally Posted by bleu jedi:
some of the new blue rays can even hold 500 gig and over double that.
Wrong, as I told you it's 50 gig, straight from the horse's (or donkey? ZING!) mouth. I don't mind the generalisations so much, but have to correct this. It's an easy mistake to make, but let's straighten it out.

Originally Posted by Submeg:
Really? I though the Dual Shock came with PS2, there you go learn something new everyday.
Dual shock was launched for the original playstation, by the time of PS2 it had become a standard at Sony. Remember, back at the beginning, the first pads for the original Playstation didn't even have analogue sticks on them, this was a slightly later development that once again became a standard.

I thought that aswell submeg dont dissagree with alex though you will get a head trying he gets confused.
Let's keep this factual, guy. Open debate is fine but no mis-information or sledging, please (unless of course it is done in a jocular fashion, by me, natch).
[Reply]
Submeg 12:57 6th August 2007
Um, what kind of crazy nerd would come up with a vibrator as an accessory? Weird
[Reply]
Blue Jedi 13:08 6th August 2007
The DualShock (officially DUALSHOCK and occasionally referred to as Dual Shock) is the standard game controller available for the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 video game consoles. The DualShock was introduced in Japan in late 1997, and launched in America in May 1998, meeting with critical success. First introduced as a secondary peripheral for the original PlayStation, a revised PlayStation version came with the controller and subsequently phased out the digital controller that was originally included with the hardware, as well as the Sony Dual Analog Controller. The DualShock was a success, providing gamers with a new way to get further into their games.

When the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system was announced, the DualShock 2 Analog Controller (SCPH-10010) included with it was exactly the same externally as the previous Dual Shock analog controller, except that it was black (colours came later), had different screw positioning (one fewer), and the Dualshock 2 logo was added. Internally, it was lighter, the sticks had more levels of sensitivity, and all of the buttons (except for the Select, Start, Analog mode, L3 and R3 buttons) were pressure sensitive. Another way to tell the PS1 and the PS2 controllers apart is that the connector that plugs into the console matches that console's memory card shape; the PS1's connector has rounded shoulders and PS2's is squared off.

In 2002, Sony and Microsoft were sued by force-feedback company Immersion for patent infringement for the use of vibration functions in their controllers. Specifically, they were accused of infringing on claims in U.S. Patent 6,424,333 and U.S. Patent 6,275,213 (filed 2000 and 2001 as extensions of U.S. Patent 6,088,017 , itself filed 1998, all "Tactile feedback man-machine interface device"). While Microsoft settled out of court, purchasing a 10% share in the company, Sony continued to defend the case. Their defense centered on a force feedback controller patent which Sony licensed from Logitech during 1998. Sony lost and was required to pay considerable retroactive royalties (approximately $91 million) to Immersion, for the seven years that the DualShock controller had been on the market, and suspend the sale of the controllers in the United States (including all PlayStation and PlayStation 2 console packages containing them). Following attempted (and failed) attempts to appeal, the two companies have now settled, with Immersion receiving $90.7m. The two companies plan to "explore the inclusion of Immersion technology in PlayStation format products."[2].

If sony would have just admited they infringed and ripped of Immersions force feedback patent they would have been able to have it in there controlers like Microsoft.

But PS3 would not admit it and instead had to pay Immersion $91 million and go with it in PS3 controllers what is the sense in that.
[Reply]
Sharingan 13:18 6th August 2007
You aren't thinking of the Rez Trance-vibrator are you? I never did get into Rez, plus it made my eyes go a bit squiffy. But it (and the trance-vibrator) has somewhat a cult following.
Yeah, that's the thing, I believe. I'm not even sure if it was a Japan thing, but considering the weird devices they've come up with, it seemed likely.
[Reply]
AlexJ 13:30 6th August 2007
Originally Posted by Submeg:
Yep, it was the original Playstation I was referring to as not having it to start with (in the UK, the original Playstation was often referred to by it's codename PSX - not sure if that was the case elsewhere).

Listen buddy, me and Submeg have known each other on here long enough to know what we can disagree on. Here it was a simple case of Submeg misreading my post. As you can see:

Originally Posted by AlexJ:
Add-on wise, nothing I can think of. Peripherals, the only truly successful one I can think of was the Dual Shock. It took enough of the market from the original digital controller so that later games required it. Whether this counts I'm not sure as although it came 3 years after the PSX launched, it was bundled as standard with the console from late-1998 on.
it actually makes no mention of the PS2, only the original PSX and also the date should give the context (PS2 was still several years in the future in 1998 which is when I said the Dual Shock became standard issue. From 1995-1998 the Playstation was bundled with either a Digital Pad or Analogue (no rumble) pad.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Up