Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 12
Thread: PS3 Price Drop
J T 15:48 21st July 2007
Every now and then I think about hi-def spangly graphics and wanting in, but I don't really play videogames enough right now to justify spending that sort of cash - especially as I have the Wii and DS already to take care of my gaming needs. The Xbox360 is more tempting to me at the moment I have to admit - I hear a lot of good things about the online services and things on other boards and it does sound quite good. Again, though, not good enough to make me splash the cash right now.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 15:59 21st July 2007
Just bought my PS3 from Argos.

£399.96 incl. 2 games and an extra Sixaxis controller.

PLUS... I put it on my Argos card, which means I can pay it off over the next 9 months without paying interest.

Expensive? Yes... Affordable??? Oh hell yeah!
[Reply]
Submeg 20:28 21st July 2007
I think I will wait til Christmas at least
[Reply]
Sharingan 09:28 22nd July 2007
I must admit I'm REALLY tempted to get one now, especially with the offer that's been going around that nets you two games and an extra controller. Granted, it costs the same (599 quid), but buying two games and a controller separately is more expensive than the 100 buck price cut they'd planned.

Choices, choices.
[Reply]
Teho 11:33 22nd July 2007
Originally Posted by v85rawdeal:
Finally, I am not alone.

There's still not a whole lot of interesting games out for it though, but there are some. There's of course Motorstorm and Resistance which I bet is the two you got with the console. I personally didn't find Motorstorm to be that great, but it was enjoyable. But Resistance rules, especially the multiplayer is a lot of fun. Several other titles have gotten good reviews though I personally haven't bothered getting them, such as Virtua Fighter, Ridge Racer, Genji, Fomula One Championship and some others.

Then there's the upcoming games over the next few months, The Darkness is released in a couple of days. I allready got it through this guy I know, but I haven't played it that much yet. It certainly seems good so far. It's getting great reviews anyway. And there's the one's everybody's allready heard of, like Lair, GTA4, MGS4, Heavenly Sword, Assassin's Creed and so on. There's also the new Colin McRae coming, which looks far better than Motorstorm to me. And there's this shooter called Haze on it's way, which there's only been a teaser of so far. It was really well made though, and what it showed looked interesting so I'm keeping an eye out for that.

And then there's the online shop, which has some great little games costing virtually nothing, such as Stardust, Tekken, Calling All Cars and a good few others. There's also game and blu-ray movie trailers on there, and demos of some full games. The Darkness demo was added last thursday for example. The shop updates on fridays usually, and the updates range from poor to pretty good. I.e. sometimes there's only a couple of trailers, sometimes a pretty decent new game is added. And they never cost much. Some have free demos even, but even if they don't the low price means you're not losing much by trying them out.

So there's still many things to try while all in all the games library still isn't very big.
[Reply]
Submeg 21:54 22nd July 2007
MGS4 drool.....
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 15:23 23rd July 2007
Originally Posted by Teho:
Originally Posted by v85rawdeal:
There's of course Motorstorm and Resistance which I bet is the two you got with the console. I personally didn't find Motorstorm to be that great, but it was enjoyable. But Resistance rules, especially the multiplayer is a lot of fun.

You guessed right, and your opinion is definitely on a par with mine!

Got to get Oblivion... and also GTA (Pre-ordered) and then get online somehow...
[Reply]
Harrison 15:52 23rd July 2007
Personally, if a game such as Oblivion exists on a console and the PC I will always et the PC version. The reason is because they can be tweaked and modded, whereas the console versions cannot not, and normally suffer from issues the original PC release had at launch.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 18:35 23rd July 2007
Harrison wrote:

Originally Posted by :
Personally, if a game such as Oblivion exists on a console and the PC I will always et the PC version. The reason is because they can be tweaked and modded, whereas the console versions cannot not, and normally suffer from issues the original PC release had at launch.
That's a good point. Personally I would never play Oblivion as much as I've done lately hadn't it been for the level-scaling mod and other stuff I've installed. I'm sure there are other games falling under this category as well, like Morrowind for example.
[Reply]
Teho 22:56 23rd July 2007
True. I also tend to get the PC version of typical PC games, such as western RPGs, most strategy titles and such. Not for modding though, I rarely get mods for games. Just that these games simply work better on PCs, with a proper mouse and a zillion keyboard shortcuts.

But about modding console games, there are some changes coming. The next Unreal Tournament game is supposed to support modding, both on PS3 and 360. Whether you can just install the same mods as the PC version directly or version specific mods must be written, I don't know. But it is happening, that's certain. It's a key feature being advertised for the console versions.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 12
Up