Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Network interfaces normally did need installing manually in XP, but I've always found Vista and Win7 have autodetected and set them up during install and the system has been online and checking for updates on first boot up. Xp never was good as driver detection though because it was only designed to check Windows Update server and nothing else. Newer OSs seem to find most things easily in comparison.

Worst type of hardware I've always found hard to install is PCI 56k modems. Hardly any of them have their make or model written on them, and most OSs have no clue what they are or the drivers they need. So the only way to get them working is to write down what they are from device manager on the system they are already installed on before they are removed. Very annoying.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I decided that the Baby AT case was a bit rubbish, so I moved the hardware into my old Dell ATX case. I'm pleased to say it fitted nicely after I moved the motherboard mounts .

Due to the lack of memory and storage, I decided to give FREESCO a go. FREESCO is a single floppy router/fw distro. You just boot up from the floppy, select the setup mode to configure just about everything, then reboot and start in normal mode.

After a bit of fiddling I got it set up and working nicely.

I did briefly use the old Buffalo router as a wireless access point and that worked fine. I wouldn't mind using a PCI card as an access point if possible though, rather than a dedicated AP.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did try a few of my spare 72 pin SIMMs in the machine, but it turns out that Pentiums need matched pairs .

It does have a slot for a DIMM, but I'm not sure what it would take. I tried a couple of PC100 memories but neither worked properly. They were probably either too fast or too big.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What make and model is the motherboard?

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a P&Q L-9632-8 ML-1 94V-0.

According to a bloke called Godspeed it is identical to the Amptron PM7900.

Just found this which may come in handy http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherbo...m-PM-7900.html.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, so a maximum of 128MB in total can be installed. And I'm assuming it can be either Dimm or Simm and not both? It doesn't really state what speed or Simm or Dimm which doesn't help.

I will have a look through my spare ram for you and see what I have and list it. If you can work out what the Simm and Dimm types it needs are, that would be useful. PC100, PC133 and for Dimm, PC2100, PC2700 or PC3200.

Failing that if interested I have a spare P2 400Mhz PC you can have to use instead. For free, just the price of postage. Has 512MB ram, 8MB AGP card, 12GB HDD etc...
    Last edited by Harrison; 26th August 2011 at 00:47.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a scan of one of the SIMMs which is installed now.

http://stevecoates.net/stuff/72pinsimm.jpeg

There isn't any other information on them. Is there a programme which will run on Windows 95 that would be able to tell me details about the memory and motherboard?

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought some memory off ebay a few weeks ago.

I put it in the machine, and it works, but I don't get the full amount available. I forgot exactly what happens. I will check tomorrow.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some motherboards don't like certain combinations and won't show the full amount. Often this is due to single and double sized simms/dimms. I had issues with older Athlon XP motherboards that would do this.