Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate ro break it to you but this monitor won't work with any current nVidia GPUs. For some reason they have stuck with Diaplayport 1.4a, and to drive that resolution requires 2.1. This means to use this monitor you have to go with AMD!

BTW, regarding the screen panel technoloy, it's urilising microdots the same as Samsung's high end TV panels. Many dismissed that technology compared to OLED, but once those TVs were released they blow LGs OLED screens away for depth of colour and screen brightness when the room is bright. So I suspect this monitor will look amazing.

BTW, yes I am perfectly happy gaming at 60fps. My interest in this monitor is from graphic design, video editing and post production motion graphics. For that I would be utilising 120fps for video.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I hate ro break it to you but this monitor won't work with any current nVidia GPUs. For some reason they have stuck with Diaplayport 1.4a, and to drive that resolution requires 2.1. This means to use this monitor you have to go with AMD!

BTW, regarding the screen panel technoloy, it's urilising microdots the same as Samsung's high end TV panels. Many dismissed that technology compared to OLED, but once those TVs were released they blow LGs OLED screens away for depth of colour and screen brightness when the room is bright. So I suspect this monitor will look amazing.

BTW, yes I am perfectly happy gaming at 60fps. My interest in this monitor is from graphic design, video editing and post production motion graphics. For that I would be utilising 120fps for video.
    You're not breaking anything to me Harrison that I hadn't already read & understood. I remember the day when I could download in the background whilst playing Counter Strike on line, via a Pentium III 800EB using AGP Voodoo 3000 Graphics & all with a single bonded 7K/Sec ISDN line to the property.
    23.96fps is all you need for smooth Video.

I guess AMD are just trying to enhance their crap Gfx cards by giving them unnecessary Display Port Bandwidth, while nVidia still bask in the glory of 1.4a bandwidth.

Such a lot of folk get sucked into unnecessaries.
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 30th September 2023 at 11:19.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont get that comment. 1.4a only supports 4K at up to 120hz, and a maximum resolution of 7680 x 4320 at 60hz,so can't drive this display at its full framerate, whereas 2.1 can. In fact 2.1 supports up to 16k resolution (15,360×8,640) which is mad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Never mind H....

Bit like you saying you don't need more than 60Hz to play games on & that 30fps in Starfield is plentiful.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But I'm not taking any games. I'm referring to running the monitor at its native refresh rate for design work and video editing. Not the same thing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    But the point you're missing is that nVidia cards don't need to run on version 2.1 Display Port to beat AMD in terms of FPS.

You're also missing the point that all panel monitors have their default Resolution & refresh rates remain variable. Once you reduce a 2560 x 1440 screen to 1920 x 1080, it does not perform the same @ it's native resolution & looks utter cr4p.

Feature's on 2.1 are greater than 1.4a for sure but take it or leave it how you want to, just wait till nVidia release their cards on Display Port 2.1 smoking AMD some more & all over again!

Joking aside H, the 80Gbps on Display Port 2.1 is completely overkill with up to 48 Gbps on HDMI 2.1. HDMI 2.0 was only up to 18 Gbps which is probably three times more bandwidth than you actually need for video editing.

I spent £700 on a Dune 4K Media centre that simply looks stunning on a Panasonic 55" OLED running 4K whilst locked & set at 23.96fps & you're wanting to edit @ 120Hz whilst happy to play games @ 60Hz & even 30 just to play Starfiled. - Just how Starry eyed are you bud?

HDMI 2.1 has more than enough bandwidth for Professional Video Editing.

Leave Display port 2.1 alone for the guys who want to play Games with High FPS @ High resolutions @ High Refresh Rates & where the bandwidth of 80Gbps is really required.

I'm hoping to go RTX 50XX when they're released & really hope they go Display Port 2.1 if only to pi$$ AMD off some more!

& hopefully as a last point on this debate, I have a spanned desktop size of 7680 x 1440 running at 240Hz & I don't do video editing. I can see the difference of these Viewsonic IPS panels @ 240Hz over my old single predator @ 165Hz @ desktop level. It's awesome & when gaming, it's absolutely mentally impressive.
    Last edited by Kin Hell; 1st October 2023 at 09:38.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The reason regarding video editing is 4k video is normally 60fps for the majority, but some is now 120fps. So in order to edit video and create motion graphics you need a display that can show 60 and 120 fps accurately. Until recently 60fps was all that was needed, hence I wasn't that bothered about higher framerates.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    So in order to edit video and create motion graphics you need a display that can show 60 and 120 fps accurately.
    Are you actually doing that? I know that you don't have a lot of spare time.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is part of the freelance work I do, so when I get a project yes.