Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can't believe I forgot Labyrinth! I have The Dark Crystal, that's some amazing storytelling, I must get that one out of the loft.

Ghostbusters - my dad took me to see that when I was 6. Ghostbusters is NOT A GOOD FILM to take a 6 year old to see! I had nightmares for years about the Terror-Dogs. And I remember he took us to see another film but wouldn't tell us what - it was a surprise! - and the ad came on for Gremlins and I was freaking out because I hate scary stuff (probably because the last thing he took us to see was Ghostbusters). The surprise was actually Jungle Book, but still.

I am hoping to gear them up for The Storyteller, another Jim Henson show, one of my all-time favourites. I might try them on that next year, they should be ready for it by then.

I think they'd enjoy fantasy - I remember watching Superman at an early age too, and Star Wars, but to be honest I don't think they'd follow what was going on. So definitely Labyrinth, Dark Crystal & Neverending Story. I think they'd be freaked out by Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - watching Christopher Lloyd's face melt whilst giggling insanely is high octane nightmare fuel.

Back to the Future - in a couple of years. It's bad enough explaining ordinary films to them, let alone time travel!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of good ones in here, but no Flight of the Navigator? For shame.

Also, depending how old the kids are (or more, how mature they are for their age), the Indy films are great fun.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry but I don't like Flight of the Navigator. The voice of Pee Wee Herman and a very young Sarah Jessica Parker are just a no-no for me.

Ghostbusters, Gremlins and Indy films are definitely not for young kids in my opinion although Who Framed Roger Rabbit! is as Jessica Rabbit should be a fantasy for all young men.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    A lot of good ones in here, but no Flight of the Navigator? For shame.

Also, depending how old the kids are (or more, how mature they are for their age), the Indy films are great fun.
    I am constantly explaining to them that what they see isn't real, it's just special effects. In my day you could tell it wasn't real, now there's no difference between CGI and reality. There is actual blood in The Princess Bride, which they squealed at - people actually getting cut by swords!

We're watching The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe (the new one) at the weekend, and I'm going to have to sit down with them for half an hour beforehand explaining the Blitz and billeting and all that, just so they can understand what's going on in the first 3 minutes. Living a life with PS3's, DS's and cupboards full of delicious food on demand is a whole world away from being shipped off to a strangers house in the country for 3 years whilst your dad is away killing people.

Back to the Future - I saw this in the cinema on release, I was 7 and I remember having to explain it to my teacher because she kept saying it was a ridiculous title, you can only go Forward to the future, and I fully understood the film and the concepts without anyone explaining to me. Maybe I should just put it on for my boy and see what he makes of it. Probably not enough action in the first 30 seconds

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    There were now already 2 people (JT and myself) asking you how old the kids were, and if it's boys/girls, but you still didn't reply

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buleste View Post
    Sorry but I don't like Flight of the Navigator. The voice of Pee Wee Herman and a very young Sarah Jessica Parker are just a no-no for me.

Ghostbusters, Gremlins and Indy films are definitely not for young kids in my opinion although Who Framed Roger Rabbit! is as Jessica Rabbit should be a fantasy for all young men.
    Sorry, I forgot Child's Play, Hellraiser and Nightmare on Elm Street. My bad.

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by burns flipper View Post
    Back to the Future - I saw this in the cinema on release, I was 7 and I remember having to explain it to my teacher because she kept saying it was a ridiculous title, you can only go Forward to the future, and I fully understood the film and the concepts without anyone explaining to me.
    I dunno, I kinda see where she's coming from*, but that's only because she was stuck on one point of reference (a time point, i.e. 'now'; rather than Marty's perspective) and couldn't think outside of that. And that's why it was such a neat concept, and a great title, for an excellent little film.

*She was wrong, in the context of the film, I'm not arguing that.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep Nightmare on Elm Street for when they are 12. It's when I started watching 18 horror films. I had great parents.

Friends used to come over to watch them ad they were not allowed at home.

The original Alien is a different matter. I saw that the first time it was aired and thought it was brilliant. Not sure how old I was. what year was it released?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was also still quite young when I started watching horror movies, but I kinda liked the 3 big ones, Friday the 13th, Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street.

We watched The Goonies on Saturday. I was mighty surprised - all 4 of the main characters, about 9-10 years old, all said the "S" word within the first 5 minutes - one of them to his mum! A Speilberg film, PG-rated, you'd never get that these days. My boy said "Omm! He said the 'S'-word!!" and my girl says "What's the 'S'-word?". Bless.