Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

A600 Kickstart and HDs

My A600 currently has a Kickstart 2.0 version 37.300 rom. We all know that the A600 was released in three main versions that differ in Kickstart 2 revision.

37.299 = no HD support.
    37.300 = limited HD support (40MB HD max)
    37.350 = full HD support.

Therefore this means it will only support a maximum of 40MB HD. Correct?

Now can IDEFix'97 be installed to make the A600 work with a larger HD? Or do I definitely need to replace the kickstart rom with a newer one?

Also if I wanted to add a CD-Rom drive would I need to use a buffered IDE interface or is it possible to get an HD and CD-Rom working from a single cable connected to the standard IDE port with IDEFix? (I was also wondering that about the A1200, although I'm using a buffered interface anyway with that).

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Harrison

PM me your address m8... I can send you something that will sort out that pesky 40mb limmit
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    to Zetr0

How does a 3.1 rom in the A600 effect software compatibility? I will mostly be running games via WHDLoad, but there are still some that don't have WHDLoad installers, especially older A500 KS1.2 games. Although I suppose I can just use a relokick disk for that.

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    to Zetr0

How does a 3.1 rom in the A600 effect software compatibility? I will mostly be running games via WHDLoad, but there are still some that don't have WHDLoad installers, especially older A500 KS1.2 games. Although I suppose I can just use a relokick disk for that.
    Using WHDload on an a600 you will need atleast 4MB of ram to make it happen without nightmare!!! (i know this from exp gains )

firstly WHDload will super-impose a kickrom image from a game infact with WHDLoad you wont need relo-kick at all.

3.1 is great for OS's and WHDLoad is great for ALL games, the only problem you face is the ECS or OCS games, (no aga ) however since 90% of Amiga Games are infact ECS then there is no worry
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good news is that I've managed to buy a 2MB PCMCIA SRAM card from ebay, so the A600 will now have 4MB total ram, so that should be enough.

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Good news is that I've managed to buy a 2MB PCMCIA SRAM card from ebay, so the A600 will now have 4MB total ram, so that should be enough.

For a lot of games you will need to dis-able the "Pre-Load" option in the slave tool types