I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Aytos o papagalos einai nekros

And we all thought Monty Python was original.
    An ancestor of Monty Python's famous Dead Parrot comedy sketch has been found in a joke book dating back to Greece in the 4th Century.

Philogelos: The Laugh Addict, which has been translated from Greek manuscripts, contains a joke where a man complains that a slave he was sold had died.

"When he was with me, he never did any such thing!" is the reply.

In the Python sketch, written 1,600 years later, the shopkeeper claims the dead parrot is "pining for the fjords".

The 265 jokes in Philogelos are attributed to a pair of jokers called Hierocles and Philagrius, about whom very little is known.

Their manuscripts have been published into a multimedia online e-book, which features video of veteran comic Jim Bowen bringing the old jokes back to life in front of a 21st Century audience.

Some of the jokes are strikingly similar to modern ones, with subjects including farts, sex, ugly wives and a dimwit referred to as "a student dunce".

"One or two of them are jokes I've seen in people's acts nowadays, slightly updated," said Bowen.

"They put in a motor car instead of a chariot - some of them are Tommy Cooper-esque," he added.

Some jokes are likely to baffle modern audiences, however - especially the ones about lettuce, which only make sense if you share the ancient superstition that the vegetable is an aphrodisiac.

The book has been translated by William Berg, an American professor of Classics.

"The text of Philogelos comes to us from several manuscripts ranging from the 11th to the 15th Centuries," Berg said.

"All of them trace back to an earlier original, probably - judging from the content and language - from the 4th Century."

Other jokes in the book include:

• Someone needled a well-known wit: "I had your wife, without paying a penny". He replied: "It's my duty as a husband to couple with such a monstrosity. What made you do it?"

• An Abderite sees a eunuch talking with a woman and asks him if she's his wife. The guy responds that a eunuch is unable to have a wife. "Ah, so she's your daughter? "

• A misogynist is attending to the burial of his wife, who has just died, when someone asks: "Who is it who rests in peace here?". He answers: "Me, now that I'm rid of her!"
    P.S. The title is very roughly "This parrot is dead" I apologise to any Greek people who are insulted by my clumsy Greek.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I was to do it properly then it would be "Αυτό είναι νεκρός παπαγάλος, νεκρή, δεν περιέχει περισσότερα!" which is "This parrot is dead, deceased, no more!"
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    lol i dont understood good this jock ,coz my Greeks is better to english..
    Fix the Title ( Aytos o papagalos einai nekros) is in Greeklish realy, and means (this parrot is dead).
    also if you need pretty translation greeks-english speak to FOL !
    he learning greeks! lol
    i have 2 lovely A1200

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemos View Post
    Fix the Title ( Aytos o papagalos einai nekros) is in Greeklish realy, and means (this parrot is dead).
    Title fixed

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    truth is my first time to see greeklish Title in english forum,thats is cool.
    and if you want to know what is the greeklish : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeklish
    fast explain is: Greek writing with latin characters ,that doing coz is faster to write and dont needed orthography.
    i have 2 lovely A1200

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also called ASCII Greek, cool

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Learnt something new there. Very interesting.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    How the hell did this thread become educational????????? I want to make a complaint. All threads that I start should stay at the bland, vaguely humorous level barely rising above banal until I deliver the POTM winning killer blow. This is not on. (Storms of in a fake huff)
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Come off it, even THE off-topic thread became vaguely educational.

If ya don't like education then Frantic Unromantic Carnal Knowledge Or Fornicate Freely!!!
    This is not a signature