Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dual CF IDE adaptor

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone in Amiga land is running a dual CF to IDE adaptor. Currently I am running a single adaptor with a 4GB card but I have another 4GB spare which I would like to use. Not even sure if it possible but thought I would give it a try

Also anyone using OS 3.9? What do you think off it?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not yet personally tried a dual CF adapter, but I've heard people have got them to work fine with the Amiga. Some adapters work in different ways though. Some combine the total capacity to present a single large SSD, whereas others will map it as 2 drives to the system so it thinks there are 2 drives present (one per card).

I'm not sure how the A1200 would handle seeing 2 drives from a dual unit if connected directly to the main A1200 IDE port as it is unbuffered and only supports a single device. A buffered IDE interface may be needed (you can get these for £12 from Amigakit) and then it would allow master/slave on each IDE channel and allow a dual CF adapter to present 2 CF cards to the system as Master/slave HDDs.

I've actually currently having trouble with CF cards myself. I've got a couple of Kingston 4GB CF cards and cannot get them to work properly with the Amiga. I will post a new thread about this problem when I get a chance.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, I will feed back my results when the adaptor turns up.

I'm using a 4GB Kingston card which works fine. My spare one is the same which I have used before and that worked ok as well. I will dig it out and let you know the model number if that is any help?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great. That would be useful. Also, if you still have to setup for the Amiga, would yu be able to look at the card using HDToolbox and let me know the max transfer and mask settings you have setup for the partitions on it? That seems to be the issue I'm currently having.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!