Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A new kitten!

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Buleste

You should never clip claws. Do it wrong and you can cripple a cat. Scratches are part of the joys of having a cat and besides cats learn not to use them if you teach them. Get him a scratching post.
    I think you get me wrong, I am not having his nails removed but simply the sharp points clipped, it is similar to clipping our own nails, they will grow back.

As for the joy of scratches, you can tell me a lot more, since yesterday my joy for scratches has reduced significantly.

He does have a scratching post.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I understand that you're not declawing the cat but whilst claws and fingernails are similar, unless for medical reasons, i don't think any animals claws should be clipped and if it is for medical reasons then it should be done by someone who is trained. If you make a mistake it can be incredibly painfull to your kitten and also cause the claws to regrow deformed. Getting scratched is part of owning a kitten. It'll grow out of it. It's just playing and learning it's position within the houshold.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmmmm page 5..... and suspiciously no picture of Kitteh......

hmmmmm
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cats need sharp claws for many tasks they perform such as climbing up fences. If you remove the sharp ends they will hurt themselves as they won't be able to grip on as well. I do however agree that their claws can really hurt!

But also their claws can really damage furniture. You should see the state of the arm of one of my GFs leather sofas! He was taught not to claw them when they were new, but she made the mistake of letting him craw another old chair which was his to sleep on, so he didn't really understand as he was allowed to claw that. But we were away for the week when he did damage the leather one so that could also be part of why he did it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are various sprays that you can use to help dissuade cats from clawing furniture, wallpaper etc but they are only temporary and need to be applied as soon as the cat starts clawing again.
    Cats also need their claws for defense so if you clip the claws your cat is likely to have seven shades of sh1t knocked out of it which could lead to some expensive vet bills.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My bird has a python and is in no way a tree hugging hippie.
    She very much agrees with Eric Cartmans philosphies when it comes to the old long haired tree botherers.

Too old to be a goth and too young be an ageing rocker.

As for cats not mauling people, they would if they could and more often than dogs would.

When was the last time a cat stopped anyones house from being burgled, pulled anyone out of a lake or rescued the kids down the well?
    (Am I still talking about dogs here or have I made the mistake of wandering in kangaroo territory?)
    Sam440EP & AOS4.1, 250 gig SATA HD & DVD Rewriter.

Towered A1200 3.1 rom, OS3.9 and OS4.0
    PPC 166 mhz 060 50mhz, 192 meg.
    Buffered Interface, 40 & 80 gig HDs, CD & DVD Rewriters.
    Mediator 1200TX, Voodoo 5500, Radeon ATI 9200, Audio, USB, Ethernet, TV/FM.
    Card reader and 19" TFT Monitor.

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Zetr0,

Do you now believe Zippy's real?

Last edited by Ghost; 17th June 2008 at 21:43.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]