Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Wars Battlefront beta

Has anyone tried the new Star Wars Battlefront beta yet? Preloading was available from last night, then it went active at 14:40 GMT today.

You don't need to own the final game as the beta is open to anyone on PC, PS4 and XboxOne. On PC you must have origin installed, then browse the store for the download. On consoles just look in their stores.

I only had chance for a quick couple of games, but from what I've seen it looks great and the atmosphere is really well done.

I first tried a single player survival campaign, fighting waves of storm troopers, AT-STs etc whilst space battles could be seen up above.

Then I tried a multiplayer capture the drop ship game, which was fun, although I was quickly shot by other players whom obviously play a lot more multiplayer fps then me. Still, great fun

Give it a try. Well with it for free. Download is quite large at 10.8GB though.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Will there be a single campaign in the final release? Everything I saw so far was multiplayer, multiplayer and multiplayer. I'm not the multiplayer guy, and so far this game didn't interest me at all. The problem with FPS multiplayer is the one you mentioned, you don't stand a chance, thus you will have no fun playing.

The only multiplayer game I enjoy at the moment is Rocket League, basically you can only play online, although there is a single player league mode, but it's quite forgettable, you play it once, and that was it. Hopefully they will come up with some new ideas for league or tournament mode.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Same as Demon. Every time i go on-line to try a game, it's the same thing. kids that live inside the game.
    Last one was GTA V. I could not walk 50 m without being killed 3 times.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, there are single player campaigns. In the Beta you have the opportunity to try one of these out. In it you are a rebel fighter trying to locate and recover drop ship cargo and must fight off waves of storm troopers and ST-ATs. And looking at the game menu system there will be other single player missions and different types of gameplay available in the final release.

Regarding multiplayer. Often I feel the same way in online FPS, where as you say you get the US kids sitting in the game all day just perfecting head shots and not letting anyone else enjoy the game. From the couple of quite multiplayer matches I tried I did get shot a few times quite quickly, but I also noticed others on your side did tend to group together and help flank enemy or offer cover fire, and it feels more of a team experience that many others. I think there may also be multiplayer campaigns that are one sides in the final too, where you group together to go on missions against AI controlled enemy, so they could be good if it happens.

Also remember that this game is not just set on the ground as a FPS. You also get to join in space combat missions in Tie-Fighters, X-Wings etc fighting space battles, and also some famous planet vehicle combat, such as chasing enemies on speeder bikes in the forests of Endor, or trying to take out AT-ATs in the famous Hoth battle (this is the one I'm waiting for).

So it will have a lot more to offer than just multiplayer FPS.

Also if any of you have player previous Battlefield games you might know that in those you can go from on the group FPS to climbing into vehicles or taking to the sky. I hope you can do this in this game and it isn't just split completely between space mission campaigns and group based FPS, but we will have to wait and see.

Personally I'm really looking forward to this.

Also worth mentioning is how amazing the game looks. The graphics look stunning with really long draw distances and on the ground you can see the battles raging in space with Star Destroyers firing on rebel vehicles and smaller fighter swarming around. Sometimes you stop to watch and get shot because you are not paying attention to enemies on the ground near you. I do have a fairly high end graphics card (GTX 970) which is the card recommended to play this game, but it is meant to play fine on most hardware purchased in the last 3 years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of you know I'm an FPS kinda guy & as much as I Love everything in the Cinematic world to do with Star Wars, this saga of game has always sucked big time for me. I doubt this will ever be right now, especially when written for consoles with a Spack Pad controller.....

I'm pretty sure the PC port over will be as appalling as ever.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It sure does look pretty though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXU5k4U8x20
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    looks... uhaaauuuuuu
    A500 - A600 - A1200

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And yes, it does look that good in game. Probably even better on PC compared to that ps4 footage.

The Hoth level was great. Especially as a storm trooper running alongside and looking up at an AT-AT. Not so fun as a rebel when one spots you shooting at it, turns its head and blasts you out of the snow.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Although I kinda like the Star Wars universe, I don't necessarily want it in my games, I prefer a new setting, something unknown instead of some franchise. Like Star Trek, Firefly or Galactica would even be worse for me, as those I don't like at all.

I was a big Star Wars fan when I was a kid, and I must say that I'm happy that I had the opportunity to see the movies when they came out, and that was something never seen before, so you can imagine the excitement.

But then later I lost my interest, have to say that I watched the new movies I-III, kind of liked them, but there was absolutely no rush to see them, same counts for the new one coming in December.

Like I said, nothing wrong with Star Wars, but I want to explore and discover something new in my games, so give me something new, a complete new universe, Star Wars seems a bit too stale for me. But I guess it sells better than the rest.

So my verdict, not waiting impatiently for this one to come out.