Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atari ST demos

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks a lot for this GB64 info ! I could never find it as I was searching for a specific one...

About amiga demos, I can't see difference, it tastes the same if we exclude the good sound of Amiga .
    At the sigh of the 2 firsts disks of the 2 demos (can't make the seconds one to start...), I remember some better screens from ST scene, visually speaking, not the sounds
    I like them though, I'm not especially 'searching' for performance, more for ideas and tunes, and there are some good inside these 2 demos.
    I also retrieve a pale copy, have a look at Kaos meeting Demo, after the amigas originals sources, it's quite poor, it's just to show you the obvious RIP

To find some good products, take a look at TCB - The Carebears (The Union, So Watt, Wattaheck, Cuddly demos...), An cool (M-Demo 4), TLB - The Lost Boys, Oxygene...
    This are those I remember. I'll try to make a kind of short bestof megademo and some screens of performance alone too, but it will be subjective... and quite badder than actual PC performance

I don't remember a demo with a story...
    I remember that it was like a friendly competitive dialogue that makes a story with time. Between TCB and TLB was some funny stuff. Competition to do better than others and push limits of the hardware, and dialogue because it was from a demo to another, from a screen to another...

At the good old time I knew someone with an amiga, and at the time I've found that scrollings were more flawless, that it was much more colored (16 vs 32 colors, normal), more sprites, better sounds...
    All that said, I already knew why, amiga has better hardware ^^

I remember 1 demo on Amiga 500, called...
    ...searching... please wait... 2 hours later...
    still nothing
    Ok, I attach the module I reaped from the demo at the time (I know... I'm sick , I can tell that at 2mn28, exactly, 2 rubans goes from bottom to top, one orange, one green ! At the same time the strange electro-flute/guitar start to play (i told you, i'm sick !).
    Ok, not so important, but I hope to find some other of this kind (music), and by the way see again this demo, I remember havin' a good feeling when watching... for sure the music helped, 20 years later I still like it

I'll get around this forum and those others you told me, and ask if I can't find, but already I noticed the music preview in here, marvelous, thanks a lot !
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    That module is from Hardwired, a collaboration between Crionics and Silents. It's a much liked production worth seeing. This is one of the demos with Jesper Kyd's early music, who's now much more famous for his soundtracks in the Hitman and Assassin's Creed games, among others. So perhaps not strange that you particularily remember the music from this demo.

You say you can't get the second disk of the demos to start? Many of the old demos didn't recognise secondary drives on the Amiga (Hardwired doesn't either) So when the change disk prompt came you had to take out the first disk and insert the second into the internal drive. It would often require a mouseclick or something to continue as well.

As for the quality, yeah the megademos are pretty old. After the trackmos took over (the continuously flowing demos) nobody made megademos anymore. So you'll definitely find the best quality demos among the trackmos. Here there are lots of great ones to choose from. A few quick mentions that I can recommend are Arte and Interference by Sanity, D.O.S. and Sequential by Andromeda and you probably allready know Desert Dream by Kefrens? There are lots more, and that's not even starting on the later AGA demos for the later Amiga models.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AvvA, a list of the ST demos you think are the best to have a look at would be great if you could do one. As you can imagine, going back to the ST after so many years and trying to look through all of the ST demo scene in one go to try and find the best productions is pretty hard. Vety much like you are trying to do now with the Amiga.

And to add to Teho's information about continuing a demo with a second disc. If you are running the demos from emulation like WinUAE then you will need to swap the ADF files over. To do that in WinUAE press F12 on your keyboard to bring up the properties window, then change the ADF in the DF0: drive for the second disc, then click OK to continue the emulator and load the contents of the next disc.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey thanks you two !

First about Hardwired, I'll re-watch it this evening !
    Then about F12 shortcut in Winuae, I admit I've made no search about this, so thanks to fullfill my lazyness !

About the quality, I'm sticking to computers' evolution, so it's really hard to see an Atari or Amiga demo and find it's 'marvelous'. But, of course I know that amiga's ones could be better, double colors, nice sounds, and better hardware capability (scrolling, sprites...), my opinion was just about those 2 megademos firsts disks (I'll watch the 2nds to see if it applies too ^^), and I know there is better things on Amiga, I've just didn't seen them for now, demoworld speaking, I've already seen games like Agony or Speedball 2 that really was better on Amiga (or only on '^^).

I'll also take a look at your recommandations Teho, btw, I don't think I know any other amiga demo, but my memories are perhaps wrong ^^.

About making an ST selection, no problem, I perfectly get it, it's hard to watch 2800 screens to find that 15,5 are goods
    It will take me a bit of time though, as I have to browse through the whole DemoBaseST to find out which one are nice to see/hear (well, at the ST level).

As soon as I've finished, I'll post my thoughs in here