C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Got a new monitor

I bought a new LCD monitor, the Samsung SyncMaster T220. It only has good reviews and also looks great. It will replace my Samsung SyncMaster 204B (20") with this one (22"), and use the other one with my barebone emulation system.

Monitors are really getting cheap nowadays, as I paid this one 214€, which is a fair price for such a 22" monitor.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a very nice monitor mate. Did you just get the T220 or the T220HD? The HD version is in my view worth it as it's the same monitor, but also an HDTV with loads of connections on the back, which is great to use as an extra display for console gaming.

And as you say, they are really falling in price these days. Only a a year ago that would have cost at least twice the price. Only problem now is if you want to use that monitors full resolution with some recent PC games you are going to need to get a newer graphics card!

I'm planning on upgrading to some larger monitors with a higher resolution soon and am looking at a minimum of 1600x1200 resolution, although I would love a couple of the 30" displays with a huge resolution. That would be amazing. However I've got my eye on the T260HD 26", from the same range as your new one, with a resolution of 1920x1200 and full 1080p HDTV support with digital tuner built in. That looks like a get monitor.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't get the HD version as I don't really need it, I'm exclusively using it as a PC monitor and I don't need HDMI or SCART plugins. But the HD version is only 40€ more expensive, which isn't that much.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just installed, looks gorgeous!! Use a resolution of 1680x1050 which is recommended for this monitor, as it's a 16:10. But can go up to 2048x1536.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Isn't 1680x1050 the native resolution of the panel though? Therefore how does it handle higher resolutions up to 2048x1536? Does it do some scaling and therefore you don't really see every pixel?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I use a higher resolution, it switches the screen to 4:3 (leaving black frames on both sides) and I can scroll the screen with the mouse, it doesn't display the whole screen.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, that is a standard feature of Windows rather than the monitor. You can do that with all AFAIK. You can switch this off by ticking "show only supported resolutions" in the advanced properties window.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Done now. It automatically switched to 60Hz and the highest possible resolution is now 1680x1050.