Thread: Star Citizen

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post Star Citizen

Has anyone played the Beta of this game yet?

Many are saying it will be an Elite beater, offering much more.. such as FPS off ship exploration and combat.

I was looking at the official site, and they have made it quite confusing to work out purchasing the game with different packages in the form of ship names.

Does look good, although the finished game isn't due out until quite some time after Elite, so we should have time to play both!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I backed this as well, but to be honest I haven't been following its development. I usually like Chris Robert's space games, but he does have a tendency to overpromise. Take Freelancer, while a good game it turned out to be a lot less than it was meant to be.

You know, Elite will also have FPS exploration down the road. Planetary landings is the first thing to be added, but they intend for you to be able to walk about your ship, space stations and on surfaces. They're also discussing ship to ship boarding raids which frankly I hope doesn't happen. I'm not particularly fond of online shooters, and now I'll have to play and win a ****ing deathmatch or lose my ship or cargo? No thanks!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. A FPS boarding element won't be liked by many and after working hard to earn a decent ship full of upgrades, being able to lose it to other members ganging up on you and boarding your ship isn't what Elite is about. If people want to do that they should play EVE or a proper FPS.

However I do hope they impliment the promised off ship exploration in Elite as it is the one wish I've had since Frontier. The big thing I loved about Earth and Beyond was the ability to dock at a space station or planet port and leave your ship to walk around, visiting trader shops to purchase and trade anything and everything in a true RPG way, to talk to NCPs to obtain missions, learn stories about the system you are in, the local history, or to piece together information to aid a mission. But also to be able to meet other players face to face to chat.. basically expanding on the Dreamcast's Phantasy Star Online station hub ideas. If they build on the ideas from these games it will be good.

Freelancer was a good game, but as you say, it fell very short of the original promises. They originally promised getting out of your ship once docked or landed, but it ended up really being static images of area where you were landed that were actually just a docking menu system, much like Elite.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Really looking forward to planetary exploration as well, both in a ship and out of it. Walking around the space stations is also going to be nice, though I hope they won't abandon the option to still do everything via menus while docked if you prefer.

I do look forward to Star Citizen as well as Elite. People talking about it being an Elite-beater, or Elite being a Star Citizen-beater, I don't think they quite get it. I don't think it and Elite will be competing very much at all. I expect them to be two very different games. Chris Roberts tend to make very focused and tightly designed games. There's usually a mission structure to play through, or a more open playing area with a thin red line of story events to follow. Elite is the exact opposite, it just goes "Here's the galaxy, and there's your ship" and pats you on the back and leaves you to it. I reckon I will enjoy both games for what they bring.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's true.. one's story led and the other a sandbox with events.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    That's true.. one's story led and the other a sandbox with events.
    I also like both ways, so hopefully these two contestants will each have their own different gameplay, so that they don't have to compete, and we can play both of them and enjoying one as much as the other.

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went to see the video of star citizen, god, the guy getting in the cockpit feels to real, looks amazing
    A500 - A600 - A1200