Downloads
    Uploads

Amiga visual outputs : what options available?

Hi all, just realised my monitor/tv doesn't have any composite yellow input (t220hd), the scart i suspect may be RGB only, although i have tested an adapter on another tv (you plug the yellow & audio in to a scart block) and this also failed, so it could be the adapter (need to buy another and test later today).

So what options does the Amiga have (600/1200).

1 - vga but you need a box of tricks to get it working, and costs almost as much as the PC itself IIRC.
    2 - Composite : Need to test the scart socket, may not be an option on the monitor (but other tv;s in the house have suitable plugs)
    3 - Scart : I have read some scart leads dont work on some tv's, i have a samsung that keeps getting mentioned as a make, so is there any special scart to watch for?

thanks

Amiga PT user VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Scart cables should be the same for any TV (?) i think so, my scart cable works on any TV so far, i tested in 5 Tvs, worked 100%
    The image is the best you can get.
    Last edited by Harrison; 28th October 2011 at 13:21.
    A500 - A600 - A1200

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The A600/1200 has:

1. Modulator - Connects to ariel socket on TV to provide RF signal to tune any TV into.
    2. Composite - Yellow port on back to provide standard composite signal through composite phono cable
    3. RGB monitor port - provides proper RGB signal. Can be connected to 15Hz supporting monitors or a TV using an Amiga to Scart cable.

For VGA, Workbench 3+ supports some VGA screenmodes. For these you just need an adapter to connect the Amiga's RGB port to a standard VGA monitor. But you won't see any other modes, such as all the standard TV resolution (15Hz) TV modes. To get these you would need to use a Scan Doubler/Flicker Fixer (like the internal Indivision, or some external units).

An alternative is a more universal upscaler. This can take the standard Definition TV signals and upscale them to VGA to use a monitor. These are designed to connected any SD device to VGA monitor, so normally just use a composite/SVideo feed so the image won't be as good as a proper Amiga scan doubler that uses the RGB port, or is internal.

Some LCD TVs do support all modes the Amiga has through their VGA port, and others you can connect via Scart for lower modes and switch over to their VGA port for the others. Some LCD monitors also will accept all modes too, and I think Steve said his new monitor does. It is hit and miss to find which makes and models do, and everyone really should compile a proper list for us all to know and use.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    cheers.

after much searching around local shops, i remembered i had a scart adapter that i use for the wii to the tv downstairs (ie plug in composite and audio to a scart plug) and tried it and it works fine for my old xbox 1, the adapter i was trying to use must have been faulty.

so panic over, i can get a composite image to my monitor, and whilst i will be looking at a proper RGB scart, its not an urgent rush to get it tested.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i got an almost new 'desktop dynamite' earlier, works fine on composite but it was dirt cheap so the rgb scart is next on the list

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile eBay Solution

You could always try one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-500-...ht_1176wt_1185

They seem to work pretty well for PAL displays and deinterlace as well!