Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is Command and Conquer 3, and later Red Alert 3 worth getting?

Hello all,

In general I am not much of an RTS fan though I have played Starcraft, Brood Wars and Star Trek Armada 1 and really enjoyed those games even though I am not always good at them.

I am now asking for people's honest opinion (try to set your fandom aside for a moment), but is Command and Conquer 3/Kane's Wrath and later Red Alert 3 worth getting if you are a casual RTS fan?

I have never been much of a Command and Conquer fan, and though I did buy Command and Conquer 2 when it was released I later sold it on.
    As for the Red Alert series, well the whole parallel universe/timeline stuff with its fantastic units never really interested me, but some of Red Alert 3 looks quite nice.

Reason why I am asking is because PC game releases is a bit slow on the moment and I really would like to do some gaming as its nearly summer vacation.
    I know Red Alert 3 is still in the future and Starcraft 2 might come out first but I see no reason why both couldn't be on my hard disc.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't really comment on Red Alert 3 as I've yet to play it, but C&C 3 is definitely very nice and worth playing. Even as a casual RTS player you should enjoy it. Nice environments, good graphics, and loads to see and do in the game. It also reverts back to a game style closer to the original C&C games, instead of the closer in view and very different style and game world used in C&C Generals games.

However I would warn you against getting the Kane's Wrath expansion pack (unless you can get both the original C&C3 and Kane's Wrath in a bundled pack. The reason I don't recommend Kane's Wrath is because it is aimed at the dedicated fans of the series and turns the difficulty level right up, so if you are only a casual RTS fan you might quickly become frustrated by the games difficulty level.

I definitely think Starcraft 2 is going to be something special. I'm definitely looking forward to that one, as are a large majority of any sane PC gamers.

There are however loads of other RTS games on the PC released over the past year that you might also enjoy and also be able to buy at cheap prices now. The space RTS Sins of the Solar Empire is highly recommended by me if you like space opera style RTS games. And the latest expansion for Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War is just out and well worth playing.

Other recent RTS games you might like to look at include Empire Earth III, Act of War, Maelstrom, Paraworld, Rise and Fall - Civilization at War, Rise of Nations 2 - Rise of Legends, Spellforce 2 - Shadow of Wars, Star Trek Armada 2 (you mentioned the first one, second one is better), Star Wars - Empire at War, Supreme Commander (one of the best RTS games of all time), The Settlers VI - Rise of an Empire, Universe at War - Earth Assault, World in Conflict, Warcraft III plus expansions...

Quite a few great RTS games. All of which you should enjoy, and many of which have now been out for some time, so you should be able to find them cheaply now.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Ghost

I am now asking for people's honest opinion (try to set your fandom aside for a moment), but is Command and Conquer 3/Kane's Wrath and later Red Alert 3 worth getting if you are a casual RTS fan?
    I've played C&C for years, but I will try to give an objective view here.

If you're a casual RTS fan, I'm sure that you'll experience plenty of fun with Command & Conquer 3. The game is easy to get into, so you don't have to spend ages learning all there is to learn.

. There are three different campaigns to play (GDI, NOD, Scrin).
    . Three different factions to play (GDI, NOD, Scrin).
    . You can engage in skirmishes against the computer
    . You can play Online against people from all over the world.
    . Better AI than earlier versions.

I think Command & Conquer 3 is worth buying, as it's a good game that will last long enough to give you value for money. Are you thinking about playing it Online by the way?

Red Alert 3 looks interesting. I'm going to get hold of this title myself when it becomes available. Used to play Red Alert 2 Online many years ago, and I'm looking forward to give the sequel a go as well.

There's another C&C title that you should consider purchasing, and that's Command & Conquer Generals (with the Zero Hour expansion pack). Many C&C fans looks at Generals as the worst of the series, but I don't agree with that. Fair enough that the game hasn't much, if anything, to do with the main stories of the past games, but the gameplay is simply great. I had a go Online last Friday and it was a blast.

Here's what you get in C&C Generals Zero Hour:

. Nine (!) playable factions
    . Three campaigns
    . Additional Generals challenge campaign
    . Multiplayer Online
    . Singeplayer skirmishes
    . I personally think that the possibilities for using different tactics is more advanced than in C&C3

If you happen to buy C&C Generals with the Zero Hour expansions pack (a must have), please give me a sign, and we can have a game or ten Online. I know Sarek2k is playing Zero Hour as well, so maybe he'll be interested as well.

Hope this was of some help mate.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    C&C Generals is a very good game, but it is also quite different to the rest of the series. That doesn't however make it any less fun, just different. To me it has a feel closer to real modern warfare, fighting terrorists, rather than set in a fictional world centred on a global struggle for ultimate domination of the planet.

BTW, can C&C Generals be played online without an original copy?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    BTW, can C&C Generals be played online without an original copy?
    Yes, this is possible.

I would like to add that the game can be obtained very cheap either Online or for bargain prices at various stores. I bought it as a present last year, and I payed like £5 for both Generals and the Zero Hour expansion pack.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, I always have liked the series, maybe I should look into it!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're interested in C&C why not get C&C the first decade. More than enough games to keep you going (I got the original for a free DL last year and i still can't get past the damn commando mission.)
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a good suggestion. C&C Generals Zero Hour is also included in the package if anyone should wonder about that. You'll get many quality titles for a low price.

I love CNC Generals myself as i've mentioned before here and of course Zero hour expansion and various mods for both! Generals and Zero Hour are without doubt my best pc games ever especially with added mods!

I've tried CNC 3 and Kanes Wrath but to me i didn't enjoy them as much thats just my opinion!

If you can get it cheap i would get cnc generals deluxe (which includes zero hour)

i've played both of these for so many hours even if not online (i'm not really into online games network yes online no!)
    A1200 : Blizzard 030 / 4gb 2.5" Hd /64mb Edo ram/1 gb compact flash - pcmcia / internal scan doubler / Trilogic joystick mouse adaptor (works with pc optical mice) 17" Black Samtron samsung monitor...

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello people,

Well I myself am not really into the setting of Generals, I know that shouldn't be relevant in an RTS game but when I play a game I would also like to enjoy background and story, and the whole "US/Russians VS Fundamentalist Terrorists" doesn't really appeal to me.

I'd rather have the pseudo sci-fi of Command and Conquer or the alternative universe of Red Alert with its fantasy science units.

Regarding the anniversary box, I do know of it but on the moment I would rather play the latest games than go back and play the series from the start, perhaps in the future.

Hi Harrison,

I definitely think Starcraft 2 is going to be something special. I'm definitely looking forward to that one, as are a large majority of any sane PC gamers.
    I guess that makes you wonder what the insane ones are up too :P

A lot of the games you mention are very good but I would like to keep it simple at the moment; simply building a base, some units, purchase improvement/upgrades and then send them against another.

I used to be a big Homeworld fan, I have all the parts but I gave up on Homeworld 2 as I found the story very boring and the campaign not interesting.

And I actually have Star Trek Armada 2 :P
    I have almost all Star Trek games of Activision and Interplay, I plan to get rid of some in the future.

Hi P G,

Thanks for your help.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]