Thread: Ultra HD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ultra HD

In Europe we are still getting up to speed with HDTV, with most households still not owning an HD capable TV set yet, and many that do still not capable of receiving HD TV broadcasts.

However in Japan it is already widespread and has been in use for much longer. Therefore they have already been working on the successor to HD, and it is called Ultra HD.

Ultra HD has a resolution of 7680x4320 pixels and a 24 speaker surround sound system.

Now that is some resolution!

To give some perspective to this, current 35mm cinema film has a scanable resolution of about 3500x1980 pixels, but most commonly scanned in at 2048x1304 for digital post production.

And digital cinema recording is normally done at either HDCAM 1440x1080 or HDCAM SR 1920x1080, with newer cinema films made using CineForm Raw 2K recording equipment that records at 2038x1152.

And just out is the new Redcode Raw cinema format with has a 4K resolution giving a frame size of 4096x2304.

So even the latest 4K cinema cameras are far short of this new Ultra HD specification. In fact the 4K resolution is roughly half the size!

And consider this. Redcode Raw has a bitrate of 220 Mbit/s (compared to about 24-50 Mbit/s for full 1080HD). So imagine what the bitrate is going to have to be needed to output Ultra HD! We need new media!

But... it isn't coming any time soon. The developers reckon it will take about 20 years before we see it in out living rooms. However I find that hard to believe. Especially when they already have a working prototype of the technology and recently showed it working at the IBC broadcast show. They did have to display it using a projector though as no Plasma or LCD technology currently exists to display something that high.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ultra HD has a resolution of 7680x4320 pixels and a 24 speaker surround sound system.
    OMFG I just read that it comes with 22.2 sound, that's simply crazy. But it will not be on the market before 2025.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just in time for the world to introduce energy consumption laws.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD