Poll: I left the Amiga scene because...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think back in the day i moved on to arcade games and newer consoles so i think it was a tech thing,although i have U-turned since and are 90% a retro/classic gamer so today a machines spec is mostly irrelevant to me now.
    [URL=http://www.jammajup.co.uk/retropolls.html][b]Retro video game polls[/b][/URL]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your comment about machine spec being irrelevant is so true. We no longer need worry about things like the number of colours on screen, sprites or even polygons. Current PCs and consoles can all handle such specs to a high enough level now that anything the developers think of is possible. These days we all look at the design, gameplay and enjoyment of the game experience, rather than the comparison figures between different ports of the same title. And from a retro perspective I think we all do the same these days. Playing retro games, Amiga especially, because of the gameplay and design.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    We no longer need worry about things like the number of colours on screen, sprites or even polygons. Current PCs and consoles can all handle such specs to a high enough level now that anything the developers think of is possible.
    That is still not true.

I have an xbox 360, and i love to play games like Oblivion (despite that damm level scaling). I clearly see the limitations of the console when i play such games, and i dream of a next generation of xbox that will get much more items on the screen and better rendered. We are still very far of a representation of the word as real as in reality. I think for that to be (almost) true, we will need at least 2 more console generations. I speak of console generation because these always raise in "BIG" levels, of course same happens with the PCs, just they raise more offten but in smaller levels.

As for the reason i left my Amiga: it was clearly for the 2 first reasons on the poll, i answered 2nd reason.
    I'm french, so sorry for my bad english :p
    In 1999-2000 i started to create an Amiga AGA 3D rpg, never finished it, but am continuing it now, in 2011 !
    here is a link: [url]http://sourceforge.net/projects/qon/[/url]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of it is lazy programming though. Look how far people managed to push the Amiga at the end of its life, and also the same was true for both the first Playstation and the PS2. The games at the end of both systems mainstream lives looked like they were running on hardware far different to the first games released for the systems.

With the Xbox 360 I think a lot of developers have been guilty of porting PC games poorly because they can utilise the same code and resources, without really writing at the hardware level or optimising for the hardware. And imagine if coders really explored and pushed PC hardware at any fixed point in time. With the PC new hardware is constantly being released, with faster CPUs, more ram, more powerful GPUs, so the coders just move the goal to the more powerful hardware to more easily achieve their goals, rather than optimising their code and really pushing the existing hardware.

But I think this is true for most things in life, not just coding. People will always opt for the easy way, rather than work hard to do things the right way.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    But I think this is true for most things in life, not just coding. People will always opt for the easy way, rather than work hard to do things the right way.
    Probably most of the time yes, but happily there are and probably always will be, some passionate people or perfectionistes who will invest more time and get so things better done
    I'm french, so sorry for my bad english :p
    In 1999-2000 i started to create an Amiga AGA 3D rpg, never finished it, but am continuing it now, in 2011 !
    here is a link: [url]http://sourceforge.net/projects/qon/[/url]

Downloads
    Uploads
    I grew up and went to college discovered alcohol. Then when I finally got my own house the gaming bug came back.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first ever computer was an A500 back in 1987. Jeepers, thats nearly 25 years ago....

Anyway, once you've had it in such young blood, it stays with you forever. Amiga Computing was real good fun back then.

Kin

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I never selled my Amiga, just bought a PC because nedeed for my college works and it was a best fine machine with the possibillity of internet connection running faster. And then with all the appearance of cd format, the old flooppy discs were dated. And with the newest japan consoles were all just too small and fitted anywere, one of my probs at my room was the lack of space, so i boxed my amiga, but it was and still is like an old friend for me were i've spend days and days in front of him with one of the most marvellous games library of gaming history.