Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Xbox 360 in trouble

Ever since the Xbox 360 were launched it has been dogged by hardware failure issues. The biggest has been overheating, with the system design being too restrictive to allow enough airflow over it's components. This meant the system had to include some very noisy system fans to try and dissipate this heat, but even this measure didn't seen to work as many 360's still fail due to overheating.

And it seems that the 360's reliability issues are continuing to grow, with an estimated third of all 360's now failing and requiring send back for repair. And even worse is that the third party repair outlets handling much of Microsoft's repairs for them differ on the reasoning for the source of the problems compared to the reasons given out by Microsoft themselves.

Microsoft have even owned up to this issue by increasing the warranty on all 360's sold to date to 3 years. And they estimate the cost of this new warranty, based on expected return rates, repair costs per unit and the resale potential of defective units, currently sits at costing Microsoft between $1.05bn and $1.15bn. Ouch!

But there might be good news coming. Microsoft are currently working on a revised chipset codenamed Falcon that will move from a 90nm to a 65nm fabrication, and this will include the core components such as CPU, GPU and video processors, which should increase the airflow inside the system and reduce the heat output. This may also see the system drop in price more as the new 65nm fabrication will halve the cost of manufacture.

Based on Microsoft now saying that they anticipate to finally be making a profit on the 360 at the beginning of next year has given rise to speculation that 360's with this revised Falcon chipset will be ready towards the end of this year and should be included in all new 360's at some point before the end of 2007.

So if you really were planning on buying an Xbox 360 I would definitely wait until this revised one comes out. Or better still save your time and money and just buy a PS3. You wll end up having to anyway.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let's just hope the Falcon will bring some changes. I still haven't planned on getting a 360, that's still on the bottom of my list, together with a Wii. I'd rather buy an Atari Jaguar before a 360

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! Atari Jaguar. That has to be one of the least successful games consoles in history. The gamepad was horrible too, although the idea of sliding control cards into the controller to get a custom button layout for each game was a nice idea.

If you do get one don't forget to also hunt down the toilet seat CD drive!

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's not the only bad news for 360 owners... This was on GameCentral today.

Hard decision on Core 360

We've always advised against buying a Core Xbox 360, since it has no hard drive and now Microsoft is providing an additional reason not to.

It has told massively multiplayer online developers that they are perfectly free to require a hard drive as standard for their games to run.

Not only that but it is considering letting them "degrade" the graphics if you haven't got a big enough drive.
    Hmmm, looks like Bill 'Git'es has struck again
    This is not a signature

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    why oh why does this happen? Oh wait! It's m1cr050f+!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    NO, it's an easier answer than that! It's from America! Look at the mess the American branch of Commodore made of the Amiga back in the 90's. They are all just focused on the profit margins and not the actual product. Complete contrast to the Japanese who are obsessed with the actual gaming experience and technology before the money.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    *DING!* 5 points to Harrison
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Complete contrast to the Japanese who are obsessed with the actual gaming experience and technology before the money.
    That is true, you can also see it when a Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or such a game is released. They stand in huge queue for hours. Quite mad.