I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Education, education, education

I was horrified when i saw this....

Britons are losing a grip on fact and fiction - with nearly one in four believing Winston Churchill and Florence Nightingale are myths and more than half thinking Sherlock Holmes actually existed.

In a new survey, 47% of people thought that Richard the Lionheart, the 12th-century English king, was a myth.

They were also under the impression that Charles Dickens, one of the most famous writers in English literature, was a fictional character himself.

Indian political leader Gandhi; Cleopatra, ruler of ancient Egypt; adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh; British military leader Bernard Montgomery; and Boudica, famous for leading a major uprising against occupying Roman forces, were all thought to be characters dreamt up for films and books.

Britons thought fictional characters like Sherlock Holmes and pilot Biggles were real, according to the survey of 3,000 people commissioned to celebrate UKTV Gold's forthcoming Robin Hood season.

Over half of those questioned (58%) believe that the detective created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for his novels of the late 1880s actually lived in Baker Street, with sidekick Watson.

Historical figures and the percentage of Britons who believe they are myths:1. Richard the Lionheart (47%)2. Winston Churchill (23%)3. Florence Nightingale (23%)4. Bernard Montgomery (6%)5. Boudica (5%)6. Sir Walter Raleigh (4%)7. Duke of Wellington (4%)8. Cleopatra (4%)9. Gandhi (3%)10. Charles Dickens (3%)

Fictional figures and the percentage of Britons who believe they are real:Sherlock Holmes (58%)Biggles (33%)

People have heard of Biggles?????
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I watched a film yesterday, Idiosyncracy I think it was called.
    Having read this, it could almost be a documentary.
    Sam440EP & AOS4.1, 250 gig SATA HD & DVD Rewriter.

Towered A1200 3.1 rom, OS3.9 and OS4.0
    PPC 166 mhz 060 50mhz, 192 meg.
    Buffered Interface, 40 & 80 gig HDs, CD & DVD Rewriters.
    Mediator 1200TX, Voodoo 5500, Radeon ATI 9200, Audio, USB, Ethernet, TV/FM.
    Card reader and 19" TFT Monitor.

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    wow, they surveyed 3,000 people...

i didnt know there was that many window lickers in the county...

Biggles was / is cool
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    I watched a film yesterday, Idiosyncracy I think it was called.
    Having read this, it could almost be a documentary.
    I saw that film. About America in the far future. I thought is seemed quite an accurate portrayal of the decline in US IQ levels and the state their nation will be in by that time.

As for that survey. It doesn't surprise me at all. I bet most of those surveyed were not native British anyway! They would probably deem it to be racist to actually ask a white British born person something in the street as it would be taking away the ethnic minority groups rights to be questioned!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    They would probably deem it to be racist to actually ask a white British born person something in the street as it would be taking away the ethnic minority groups rights to be questioned!
    That is a very good point harrison.They probably would have had to ask some white/brittish people, but it wouldn;t surprise me if there were percentages of each that they had to stick to.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally I think "deport the lot of them". Make Britain British again!

Why should we put up with people living in our society who have no interest in learning to speak English, or integration into our society.
    Last edited by Harrison; 4th February 2008 at 14:54.

I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you're under estimating the stupidity of the british. It wouldn't surprise me if most of those surveyed were white british as most so called foreigners have a better knowledge of British history and literature than "Native British" do.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well OK, if they interviewed anyone from an inner city, or under the age of 26 then the likelihood is that 80% of that demographic wouldn't have a clue!

Deadly Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    personally i think that survey should of included people that had completed High School
    If i had a hammer, I would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening, i would hammer all day