Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Installing games to A1200 HD
Harrison 00:30 17th August 2007
DMS is very similar, but a little different to ADF. DMS was invented back on the Amiga as a way to package disks into smaller files so more than one disk could be sent on a single floppy disk. Often you could find PD software or Amiga demos stored as DMS files and you would need to first make them back into real Amiga disks ready to use. With ADF, it was invented because of emulators not being able to read real Amiga disks.

The biggest difference is compression. DMS tries to compress (mash) the disk image down as small as it can, whereas ADF doesn't natively compress a disk image. Instead storing it bit for bit as a track by track image. The compression of ADFs comes after when you then zip them up.

And a Zipped ADF will normally be smaller than a DMS of the same disk, but both file types will work just as well as you can also load DMS files directly in Amiga emulators too. Personally I would stick with ADF.

What version of Directory Opus is it? You should try it out. A File Manager is very useful and DOpus especially.
[Reply]
FOL 13:50 18th August 2007
Also, if your able to transfer from PC to Amiga and viseversa, this is a good site for preinstalled WHDLoad games.

Killer Gorilla's WHDLOAD INSTALL PACKS
[Reply]
Harrison 15:37 18th August 2007
Nice one I've visited Killer Gorilla's site a few times in the past but completely forgot about that when I posted above. That should really simplify things.
[Reply]
FOL 16:36 18th August 2007
Indeed, Killer Gorilla rules.

He has spent alot of time sorting these, just to help us old Miggy guys (and gals) out,
[Reply]
toomanymikes 16:58 18th August 2007
FOL - your gonna fit in here!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up