Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Favourite C64 games
AlexJ 02:46 18th August 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I finally remembered what the game was I was trying to think of. It was Star Quake.

Sorry it didn't actually contain the word Lunar in it at all in the end.
Nor was it two words (at least if we go by the spelling at Wikipedia). We would have been guessing forever

Originally Posted by :
Did you know that an Amiga version of Star Quake was going to be released but got scrapped before it ever was. An Atari ST version was released though. I wonder if the Amiga version was actually finished and if anyone has it?
Quite possibly, a fair few Amiga games were finished but unreleased (Putty Squad being the most famous example).
[Reply]
Harrison 03:23 18th August 2007
I always thought it madness to actually finish the production of a game and then never release it commercially. It would have made some money back regardless of the number of sales. Putty Squad sold quite well on the SNES for example.

I'm going to see if I can track down a copy of StarQuake for the Amiga.
[Reply]
Harrison 03:24 18th August 2007
Originally Posted by AlexJ:
Nor was it two words (at least if we go by the spelling at Wikipedia). We would have been guessing forever
Well, I don't like to make it too easy.
[Reply]
AlexJ 03:30 18th August 2007
I always thought it madness to actually finish the production of a game and then never release it commercially. It would have made some money back regardless of the number of sales. Putty Squad sold quite well on the SNES for example.
I suppose there's the costs of production and distribution, but these wouldn't have been that big and as you say would have easily be recuperated even with fairly poor sales. Promotion costs would have been tiny as they were already promoting the SNES version so adding 'Amiga' to the advert would have costed nil.

I think the main reason might have been piracy, and how having a cracked version on the Amiga would have affected sales on the SNES.
[Reply]
Harrison 03:33 18th August 2007
Do you think so? I remember at the time that most SNES and Megadrive owners looked down on the Amiga as not being as good as their consoles because they each claimed the Amiga wasn't as good for various reasons. Mostly Megadrive owners sighting that the Amiga didn't have a game that could scroll as fast as Sonic, and the SNES owners saying the Amiga didn't have a platform game to match Mario.

I don't remember anyone I knew owning both an Amiga and SNES (other than myself ).
[Reply]
AlexJ 03:42 18th August 2007
I don't remember anyone I knew owning both an Amiga and SNES (other than myself ).
Thinking about it, if piracy was a concern they could have just released it on the CD32.

I had also had a SNES as well as an Amiga. I feel that the A1200 was every bit as good as the consoles at the time, however most games were written to cater for the vast A500 market and the AGA versions were often just graphical updates to use more colours with perhaps a new level or two. There were too few A1200-only games which could be written from the ground up to take advantage of the hardware. In the case of Putty Squad, it was originally written for Amiga as AGA only and then ported to SNES so would have played very similar and been as good as the console version I'd imagine.

When it came to platformers, the consoles did have the edge but things like flight & driving simulators the Amiga definitely had the edge.
[Reply]
Blue Jedi 20:14 18th August 2007
I finally remembered what the game was I was trying to think of. It was Star Quake.

Sorry it didn't actually contain the word Lunar in it at all in the end.

Did you know that an Amiga version of Star Quake was going to be released but got scrapped before it ever was. An Atari ST version was released though. I wonder if the Amiga version was actually finished and if anyone has it?
I remember Star quake not being relased but never got to play it i must try and get it.

I think ot is a shame games got scrapped there was alot of games for C64 and amiga and other consoles and systems that got scrapped.
[Reply]
Harrison 20:54 18th August 2007
Happens all the time of every platform. It not too mad if a game is still only in pre-production or in early development, but when a developer has been working on a game for a couple of years and suddenly told the project is shelved that must really be upsetting for them. And to actually let a developer complete a project and then never release it commercially just doesn't make good business sense as the publisher would have been funding the developers expenses during the development so would be in negative equity by that point. Mad.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up