Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Favourite C64 games
Harrison 15:58 7th August 2007
Originally Posted by :
Was the game you were trying to think of solar Jet man or Jetpac.
Nope, it wasn't either of those, but thanks for the suggestions.

I thought it might contain Lunar in the title but doing a quick search didn't reveal anything similar. It definitely isn't anything like Lunar Landing or Lunar Rescue.

Did anyone else own a CPC at the time? When developers actually coded directly for the CPC range the quality of the games could turn out looking exceptional, and graphically beat the C64 easily. But sadly most were poor ports of Spectrum games and made the CPC look much less capable that it really was.

Obviously it did fall short of the C64 in terms of audio as the CPC audio chip was nearly the same as that found in the Acorn BBC range with three channels and a noise generator, outputting to three channels in mono, compared to the far superior C64 SID chip.
[Reply]
Blue Jedi 16:33 7th August 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Originally Posted by :

I thought it might contain Lunar in the title but doing a quick search didn't reveal anything similar. It definitely isn't anything like Lunar Landing or Lunar Rescue.

Did anyone else own a CPC at the time? When developers actually coded directly for the CPC range the quality of the games could turn out looking exceptional, and graphically beat the C64 easily. But sadly most were poor ports of Spectrum games and made the CPC look much less capable that it really was.

Obviously it did fall short of the C64 in terms of audio as the CPC audio chip was nearly the same as that found in the Acorn BBC range with three channels and a noise generator, outputting to three channels in mono, compared to the far superior C64 SID chip.

I never owned an Amstrad CPC at the time but it was very good and even had better graphics than C64 for some games and most of Oceans games were only available on an Amstrad.

If it had Luna in the title then it was definately Lunar Lander many versions of it are available I think it even got released for amstrad and C64 but I could not find it on Youtube.

The only version I found on Youtube was the commodore Pet version and a vector version.

Commodore Pet Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwiMojFHLoo

Vector Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kd19GZ_WjQ
[Reply]
Harrison 16:47 7th August 2007
No it isn't Lunar Landing. The gameplay is completely different. I know Lunar Landing well as I used to play it on the BBC.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 17:44 7th August 2007
Goonies has one of my favorite sid tunes by John A. Fitzpatrick. It's just awesome.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 22:55 7th August 2007
My god, that is a hard one.
Will have to look at my collection to jog the memory.
Some absolutley top games on the 64.
Off the top of my head.
Commando
Rambo
Yie Ayr Kung Fu
Way of the Exploding Fist
The Hobbit
Lord of The rings
Ranarama
Paradroid
Delta
The Blue Max
Wizball
Jetset Willy
Manic Miner
Monty on the Run
Beach Head
Raid Over Moscow

There will be loads more.
Everyone my absolute favourite.
[Reply]
Blue Jedi 14:33 9th August 2007
Originally Posted by TiredOfLife:
My god, that is a hard one.
Will have to look at my collection to jog the memory.
Some absolutley top games on the 64.
Off the top of my head.
Commando
Rambo
Yie Ayr Kung Fu
Way of the Exploding Fist
The Hobbit
Lord of The rings
Ranarama
Paradroid
Delta
The Blue Max
Wizball
Jetset Willy
Manic Miner
Monty on the Run
Beach Head
Raid Over Moscow

There will be loads more.
Everyone my absolute favourite.
Excelent list of games there all of them are excellent games way of the broken fist is a C64 classic and Jet set willy, Manic Miner were good on zx spectrum and C64 also Commando, Rambo are the stand out titles from your list.

Yie Ayr Kung Fu is available on Xbox 360 live aracde they have added the C64 version and also added a remake.

I still prefer to play games on there origonal system its more enjoyable.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 15:55 9th August 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Originally Posted by :

As I never used a C64 i cannot comment on the quality of the games, but I can comment on the CPC as I also owned one.

I agree with Harrison (Now there's a surprise... me agreeing with my clone (or is it the other way around)). There were certain games on the Amstrad that just looked so good, considering the machine's specs: Gauntlet; Renegade; Vindicators; Driller (Now that was a ground-breaking game); Captain Blood; and even a damn fine conversion of The Bard's Tale. The sound, however, was lacking, for the reasons Harrison listed, but also because it had a rubbish speaker.

I kinda miss my cpc, i loved doing graphics on there. My main hobby was drawing Atari ST screenshots on it, my favourite being an amalgamation of Dungeon Master, with the two-headed dragon from The Eidolon creeping up behind a character called Ludicrus (taken from an Amiga game). I used to take photes of the artwork... but I never got round to developing the film (oh for digital cameras).

Either way they were both good machines... and both urinated on the Oric-1 (ducks to avoid the flak from Oric fans.)
[Reply]
Harrison 16:28 9th August 2007
Another CPC game that looked great was Gryzor. I think that had to be the best 8-bit version of the game.
[Reply]
Blue Jedi 17:39 17th August 2007
v85rawdeal do you still have any of the CPC graphics of Atari ST screenshots i think Atari ST is awsome.

Gryzor also know as Contra on CPC was awsome they have the C64 version Gryzor contra on xbox live arcade I think the CPC version was awsome.

Nearly all the best versions of Ocean games were on Amastrad CPC.

C64 had the best versions of codemaster games.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:29 18th August 2007
I finally remembered what the game was I was trying to think of. It was Star Quake.

Sorry it didn't actually contain the word Lunar in it at all in the end.

Did you know that an Amiga version of Star Quake was going to be released but got scrapped before it ever was. An Atari ST version was released though. I wonder if the Amiga version was actually finished and if anyone has it?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up