Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Dreamcast
Demon Cleaner 09:57 7th August 2007
Originally Posted by :
Although, what is the state of play for 'backups' on the Dreamcast?
The DC plays backups perfectly or you have to use a boot CD. But the games I have are probably all patched, so that they run just fine, if they're not, you need the boot CD. But they should run without any problems, as there's even no modchip available for DC.
[Reply]
J T 10:19 7th August 2007
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
Originally Posted by :
Although, what is the state of play for 'backups' on the Dreamcast?
The DC plays backups perfectly or you have to use a boot CD. But the games I have are probably all patched, so that they run just fine, if they're not, you need the boot CD. But they should run without any problems, as there's even no modchip available for DC.
Hmm, makes it a bit more tempting I have to admit, but I'm still fairly unlikely to do it.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 10:21 7th August 2007
I think you won't regret, get one, put Shenmue into it, and you won't quit the game for 3 hours straight, promised.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:20 7th August 2007
Very true. Shenmue is a breathtaking game. Also others such as the Crazy Taxi 2, Soul Calibur, Virtua Tennis 2 etc... are all great games on the system.

And yes, the Dreamcast can play CD-R based backups without needing any hardware modifications. Earlier backup releases required the Utopia boot CD to get them running (The Utopia Boot disc is also made by burning a CD so is also free), but most later games releases were made self booting so didn't require a boot disc to work.

The only exception is the very last batch of Dreamcasts which cannot run backup games as standard due to Sega changing the firmware. But they are rare as not many were produced. You can spot them as the label under the system is different.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 11:42 7th August 2007
Originally Posted by :
Also others such as the Crazy Taxi 2, Soul Calibur, Virtua Tennis 2 etc... are all great games on the system.
You named games that can also be played on a PS2 now.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:59 7th August 2007
True, but all ported from the Dreamcast originals, and in more peoples views were inferior to the original.

OK if you want some "exclusives" here are some great ones I highly recommend:

Shenmue 1 and 2
Skies of Arcadia (although that was also later ported to the Gamecube)
Record of Lodoss War
Phantasy Star Online v2
Sonic Adventure
Outtrigger
HeadHunter
Space Channel 5
MvsC2
Streetfighter Alpha 3
Power Stone 1 and 2
Jet Set Radio
Tech Romancer
Project Justice
Silent Scope
Gunbird 2
Confidential Mission
MSR
Daytona USA 2001
Sega GT
Sega Rally 2
Rush 2049
18 Wheeler
House of the Dead 2

And i could go on.
[Reply]
Submeg 13:04 8th August 2007
House of the dead, ah the joy of that game
[Reply]
StuKeith 18:14 22nd August 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
DC emulators will never be able to run real GC-ROM Dreamcast discs as standard PC CD drives cannot read them, much like Amiga emulation with Amiga disks. Therefore we will always need to either use mounted ISOs or copied CD-R's of the games.

So how were the games copied in the 1st place?

Another great thing about the DC was that you didnt need to chip it to play copied games. I used to have a divx player for it. the only trouble I had was at the time I only had a 50hz TV and the dogthing boot disc was 60hz only.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:07 23rd August 2007
Originally Posted by StuKeith:
So how were the games copied in the 1st place?
They used the modem in the Dreamcast to connect it to a PC. They then used a specially written utility that made it possible to dump an image a the Dreamcast GD-Rom from the Dreamcast drive to the PC. Then once they had an image of the disc they had to hack it to reduce it in size from the 1GB GD-Rom size, down to a size that would fit onto a CD-R. They did this by removing any files that were not essential and compressing video and audio more. And finally with later releases, they patched the disc images to make them autoboot from CD-R.
[Reply]
J T 11:06 23rd August 2007
Going through the modem would've been terribly slow wouldn't it? But then I suppose it only needs to be done the once.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up