Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Thread: Worst Amiga games ever!
Demon Cleaner 14:33 3rd January 2008
The C64 also had a bunch of unplayable soccer games, man, I can tell, I had them all.
[Reply]
Zetr0 12:19 25th January 2008
hmmmm i think the best way for me to seperate the emensive amount of games that are crap from completely spamming this board.... i will limmit it to those i actually bought...

some fantastic turkeys....

lol no that wasn't all the games i bought LMAO!!! just the turkeys that i remember.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:08 25th January 2008
Personally I wouldn't have considered any of those games to be the worst the Amiga had to offer. Quite the opposite for some of them.

Stunt Car Racer? For me that was an amazing game. And even better when played with two players using two linked up Amigas. Full 3D racing with jumps and tricky tracks you could fall off at any moment. Make Hard Drivin' easily feel second best.

I also really enjoyed Captive 2: Liberation on the CD32. Not sure what was so bad about that one

But I do have to agree regarding R-Type's conversion. I could get quite far in the arcade original, but I couldn't even complete the first level from the Amiga version. Looked nice but was too hard.

Road Kill was OK in my view, but I agree it was a missed opportunity. Had so much promise and ended up like a copy of Super Sprint with weapons. Initially fun but quickly got boring. Just no real innovation. The voice over was quite cool though.
[Reply]
Buleste 13:24 25th January 2008
I have to say Captive II : Liberation whilst not the worst game was not good. I remember the first time i installed it, I used all the best quality textures, watched the intro which was good and then i played the game and not long after i wiped it of fmy hard drive for something better. Full of promise but lacking in execution.

Stunt car racer was better on the C64 but still a good game so that shouldn't be anywhere near this thread.

R-Type - it's always difficult converting an arcade game to home computer and very few have been done well. Partially because you just don't get the same atmosphere in your bedroom as in an arcade and also you never run out of money playing an arcade game at home and nobody else is going to see your high score.

I never bothered with the other two as i was never into Beat em ups (except IK+) and Road Kill never floated my boat.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:56 25th January 2008
Originally Posted by :
you just don't get the same atmosphere in your bedroom as in an arcade and also you never run out of money playing an arcade game at home and nobody else is going to see your high score.
That is a very good point and why many arcade conversions didn't work, although equally many did for those with a lot of friends as you still had the hiscore competition between each other. Also without hiscores where would we be with our games competitions now.

Network hiscore uploading is now quickly becoming more popular on current consoles. But does this revive the old days and this type of gameplay? Personally I don't think it does unless you know the real people behind the scores being uploaded. Otherwise you might as well be competing against computer generated scores playing the game offline.
[Reply]
Tiago 14:03 25th January 2008
R-TYPE?
Stunt car racer ?

R-Type for me is a top 20... (even if the convertion from arcade was not the best)
Stunt car racer? I sepnd so many hours playing this one, it was great....

didn't you like them Zetr0 ?
[Reply]
Buleste 14:05 25th January 2008
Ah but the thing is you get the bragging value of being the best in the world if you have the best highscore on a particular game.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:07 25th January 2008
True, and that in itself can become very addictive. Very much like visiting your favourite arcade machine and finding someone with a 3 letter name had beaten your highscore again! Having to beat it and get your name back at the time quickly becoming an addiction.
[Reply]
Zetr0 14:43 25th January 2008
ahhh nothing like a little contravesy! (even if spelling it seems so at the moment lol)

the games i listed are the ones i bought that i really felt let down on... admittedly there are thousands worse..... but i didnt buy them

so best explain myself before the lynch mob get here, and pray for leniency

R-Type
for much of my mis-spent youth, when not coding up a storm i would skip skool and play the arcade machines in the local bus cafe. they had R-Type... it was my life LOL... i cannot remember a day of my 14 year on this plannet that i did not play the arcade game... and i was .... a little tasty.... as one might imagine (also shinobie )

so what happend you think when i saved £25 hard earned pounds of paper rounds when R-Type was released hmmm ?..... you damn bet ya!!! i was stright down to spectrum plus and bought myself a copy... virtually skipping home to play it!!!!!

what do you think happened next?........

Captive 2
OMG Captive one absorbed my life... it was and in a lot of way the best game for me ever on the Amiga.... its awesomosity should reign supreme... so if ever a sequel was produce i would swap my left arm for it...... so.... another £25 quid later.... looking at all the specs... OMFG textures... 12MB holy shit! all the specs.... unbelievable....

Installed it to my 40MB hard disk..... had to delete a lot too..... and slap a load of med mods on floppy..... took a while.... but it was worth it right?

WONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man i was pissed..... it looks, plays and feels a horrid mess of a game... if there ever was a game in it..... another £25 quid through special reserver up the spout

Stunt Car racer
I blame my brother for this one.... claiming it was awesome on his ST... fantastic riding on walls with jumps and net-workable 2 player.....

god it was just to slow.... its not Frames per second but Seconds per frame... its truely poor in the speed on an unexpanded A500.... (mind you not as bad as days of thunder.... that truely sucked) it lacked the £16 price tag to be honest... it doesnt feel like it flows... and the sound is an atrocity to ones ears.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:20 25th January 2008
I suppose everything is objective and personal taste. It is just the Stunt Car Racer is a very much loved game for many Amiga and ST fans around the world. Me included.

I don't remember it having such slow frame rates. They were obviously not up to modern standards but it was very playable from what I remember. I do agree that the sound was a little grating, buy liking industrial metal probably just made it appeal to me even more!

I think it also took advantage of 1MB if found so probably didn't have such low framerates.

As for R-Type. I can see why you were so disappointed with the Amiga version after being so addicted to the arcade original. There just wasn't any comparison. Would have been better off seller your right arm for a SNES as that version was much better.

And Captive 2. I only played the CD32 version and it run without issue on there and I really enjoyed the game. Were there more problems for the A1200 version? Did the CD32 version take advantage of the Akiko chip for texture mapping?

Now there is something that should have been included in the A1200. The Akiko chip!

However I do agree that the original Captive was much better. That and Hired Guns.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Up