Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: What is your favorite piece of game music?
Submeg 04:24 25th May 2007
Yea the piano music is very good sleeping music
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 10:31 25th May 2007
I only d/l FF7 & 8 & Tactics OST. I bought Xenogears and Chrono Cross, as I played both games, and loved the music.
[Reply]
LowercaseE 13:54 25th May 2007
The entire soundtrack for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is KILLER! I've got it ripped to mp3 and I listen to it quite a bit. If anyone likes, I can upload it here. Also, I really like the piano music in the intro to Agony. Dimmu Borgir did a semi-cover of it on their Stormblast album.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 21:10 25th May 2007
Originally Posted by :
Dimmu Borgir did a semi-cover of it on their Stormblast album.
Why? Are they amiga fans?
[Reply]
LowercaseE 01:16 26th May 2007
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
Why? Are they amiga fans?
I don't know to be honest. Agony came out in 1992 and Stormblast came out in 1996 so either they just liked the game music and covered it, or maybe one of the band members actually wrote the game music (I highly doubt the latter).
[Reply]
Teho 10:41 26th May 2007
You're right, they didn't. Tim Wright did, and there's a small comment about it on ExoticA's Agony page:

Originally Posted by :
On a final note, Tim goes on to say, "If you'd like to hear a cover version of the ['incorrect'] Agony Intro theme, then get hold of a copy of Stormblast (1996) by Dimmu Borgir. There's a track on there called "Sorgens Kammer" and it's a blatant rip-off of my music. I have contacted them, but they just give me excuses, and it's not worth suing them for the pennies I'd get back - oh well, life sucks!"
But they're both great songs regardless.

As for my own favourites, the Pinball Dreams theme is one I never tire of. Also I think most songs in Turrican II are pretty good. Chris Hülsbeck did that, and he remains one of my favourite composers. His soundtrack for Tunnel B1 is pretty good also.

Realms of Arkania had some very nice themes, the theme that plays during the character generation part is particularily memorable.

There's a lot more classic soundtracks I'm forgetting. I remember I thought the Kurushi games had some great music. It was mostly because it sounded like a real orchestra instead of a synthesized one (may actually have been a real one, I don't know), which was very uncommon back then. Nowadays that this is pretty common (synthesized sounding real that is), the Kurushi soundtracks don't hold up that well next to many more recent ones, but they're still pretty memorable to me.

Of recent games I thought the soundtrack to the first God of War was particularily well done. And most of what Jeremy Soule has worked on also sounds pretty good. That would be the Guild Wars games, Dungeon Siege games, Elder Scrolls III and IV, and several others.
[Reply]
Sharingan 08:12 11th July 2007
If I had to pick a single track out of the zillions of tracks that I have, I'd probably pick Chris Hülsbeck's ending credits theme from Turrican 3. It's got such a soothing melody, I could listen to it for hours without getting tired of it. The ending movie theme from FFX has a similarly strong effect.

If I were to pick a whole soundtrack, I'd likely go for the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu. I've got many fond memories from playing the game, and by listening to the music, I can often relive those moments without actually touching the game. Such is the strength of Uematsu's compositions.

When it comes to soundtracks based on heavy rock music, none comes close to Daisuke Ishiwatari's Guilty Gear X. Hauntingly good.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:37 11th July 2007
Uematsu's music is great. I can listen to it all day long. One tune that I always love hearing at the beginning of every Final Fantasy game is the classic little tune that plays in the game select screen. For some reason I love that song.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 17:46 11th July 2007
Delta theme tune on the start screen.
Commando in game music.
Green Beret loader.
Monty on the run Hi Score screen.
Rambo loader.
Various Ocean loaders.
Shadow of the Beast II end game tune.
[Reply]
Sharingan 18:03 11th July 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
One tune that I always love hearing at the beginning of every Final Fantasy game is the classic little tune that plays in the game select screen. For some reason I love that song.
It's a pretty simple melody, but it's nice, and soothing. The official name for the track seems to be 'Prelude'. There's a 'vocal' version of it on the FINAL FANTASY - PRAY album.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up