Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: How much of what you own do you actually use?
Harrison 19:22 23rd May 2007
Are you sure? I thought it was legally OK to download a copy of something you already own as you are allowed to make a backup of the original, which in effect is the same thing.
[Reply]
AlexJ 19:56 23rd May 2007
No, they're still working on a law to bring this in. Currently it is illegal (for example) to rip a CD you've bought and put it on your MP3 player. How ridiculous is that.

Here's the government's response: http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page10776.asp
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 22:05 23rd May 2007
Originally Posted by :
Currently it is illegal (for example) to rip a CD you've bought and put it on your MP3 player.
And when you do a copy to tape?
[Reply]
AlexJ 22:27 23rd May 2007
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
And when you do a copy to tape?
Same - all types of format shifting is illegal if you follow the letter of the law in the UK.
[Reply]
Submeg 03:30 24th May 2007
Yea they need to wake up on that one
[Reply]
Ghost 06:49 24th May 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
As I thought the Wii would be. Great excitement and craze over it's original and unique control system, but boredom soon sets in once the gimmick of the controller is extinguished.
I kind of suspected this to happen, glad that I did not fell for it.
[Reply]
Harrison 09:53 24th May 2007
I think the biggest problem with the Wii so far is that apart from Twilight Princess no other title released on the Wii has contained any level of ambition, scale or simple extended excitement that has triggered an addictive nature to continue playing for extended periods of time.

Everything else on the Wii has so far been very light, giving the player simple easy to grasp and play, but quite to end arcade experiences. The system needs more meaty releases such as Zelda if it is going to become as loved by even dedicated Nintendo fans as it's previous systems.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 18:54 24th May 2007
What if you own something on tape and copy it onto another tape?
[Reply]
Harrison 20:27 24th May 2007
Then you are in the eyes of the law pirating it because you are duplicating the copy you own. Same for audio tapes. But that has always been the case, and it has always been illegal to record TV programs to video tape as the programs are copyright, but it is such a grey area that the whole Video Tape era happily taped programs from the TV and kept them on the tapes.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 21:07 24th May 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Then you are in the eyes of the law pirating it because you are duplicating the copy you own. Same for audio tapes. But that has always been the case, and it has always been illegal to record TV programs to video tape as the programs are copyright, but it is such a grey area that the whole Video Tape era happily taped programs from the TV and kept them on the tapes.
Then what is the point in VideoPlus if it is illegal to record television programmes?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up