Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: The proudest pieces of your collection
Harrison 15:12 29th December 2006
Originally Posted by Ghost:
Hello Harrison,

Why did you sell your atari ST?
I originally purchased an Atari ST in 1987 as I couldn't afford an Amiga at the time. The ST was about £100 less than an A500 at the time which was quite a lot in those days, especially when still at school and trying to save up for one.

The ST was quite a cool system and most of the games at the time were released for both the ST and Amiga, but the Amiga versions were always better. And the ST had a dire OS called GEM that was probably one of the worst graphical OS's ever released, except for early Windows releases! ST GEM makes Workbench 1.3 look amazing! Amazingly the GEM OS was even released on the PC at the time. I used it once on an old Amstrad PC and it was just as bad.

When I did eventually get an Amiga I practically stopped using the ST as it just wasn't as good at anything compared to the Amiga. I got the good games I had for the ST again for the Amiga so didn't really need the system any longer, but I did keep it for quite some time as there were a lot of demos, utilities, coverdisks and other stuff I had for it that were still fun to sometimes load.

But then the ST emulator Winston came out and I got hold of the complete scene releases of all ST software so the real system wasn't needed at all. That was when I finally decided to sell the system, along with the games, books and magazines I had for it. It had also developed a PSU fault which was common on STFMs. Sometimes it would just power off on it's own and you had to tap the case above and to the right of the keyboard to get it to come back on. Bit dodgy.

And comparing the ST and Amiga size by side in games it was easily clear the Amiga was superior in most respects: Amiga had 4 Channel stereo sound instead of 3 channel mono, 32 colours in game instead of 16, full overscan screenmodes available so that games could use the complete screen whereas ST always had a big border around the edge of the screen similar to 8-bit games (except some games that used special coding to trick the ST into a sort of overscan mode), and the Amiga had much better Copper and Blitter abilities that the ST.

ST fans would still argue it was better, even with all those things mentioned going against the ST.

Don't get me wrong, the ST was a great 16-bit system and far better than the 8-bit systems before it, but compared to the Amiga it was always inferior. I still got many years of enjoyment out of the ST though.
[Reply]
J T 15:38 29th December 2006
Uh, I don't really have a collection of anything really. I have a few items that you don't see every day but they aren't super rare or anything.

Let's see...

Osu! Tatake! Ouendan! for the DS. It didn't sell in huge numbers in Japan but is quite easy to find on eBay or through an importer. Probably not something many people in the UK will have heard of or seen.

A Ford Racing Puma. They only made 500 of this particular special edition Puma and a fair few have been trashed, but there are always a fair few for sale if you look on enthusiast sites.

Um, stretching it a bit now but Ikaruga for the gamecube and the DVD of the proper French versions of Taxi 1 and 2 not the recent crappy American ones.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:53 29th December 2006
I've also got the original French versions of the Taxi films. Those are great and really funny. The American remakes completely ruined them and I didn't even bother watching the whole of the US remake.
[Reply]
AlexJ 17:35 29th December 2006
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I've also got the original French versions of the Taxi films. Those are great and really funny. The American remakes completely ruined them and I didn't even bother watching the whole of the US remake.
Me too! They showed a part of the first film during a French lesson when I was at school, and I went and bought the DVD's after. One of those chance buys that turned out to be a good one.
[Reply]
Teho 17:41 29th December 2006
I didn't even know there was Hollywood versions of those movies. The french ones are awesome though. But I've yet to see the third one.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:18 3rd January 2007
Third one's less good than the first two, but that's always that way. Lucky me I can watch them in original language, which is surely way better than the translated or subtitled ones
[Reply]
Harrison 14:25 3rd January 2007
I always prefer to watch any film with its original soundtrack and subtitles, even if I can't speak the original language, rather than dubbed translations as they always sound bad. You can only get the true original emotion and atmosphere of the film that way.

I do understand some French so I understood some of the Taxi dialogue without needing to read the subtitles, and noticed how the subtitle translations were not always quite correct, especially some of the insults directed at the English, Japanese or Germans.
[Reply]
J T 14:29 3rd January 2007
I like watching them with the original dialogue too.

A friend has the third one but we haven't got round to watching it yet. I didn't even know there was a third one until he sent me a picture message of the box.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:32 3rd January 2007
Are the same actors in the third film? So often a third film in a series is low budget and has none of the original actors, making it more of a clone than a real sequel.

All this talk of these films has made me want to watch them again. I think I might later this evening.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:53 3rd January 2007
Same actors as before, they now even completed the 4th one, soon to be released now.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up