Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: .hack//G.U. vol. 2//Reminisce
Demon Cleaner 22:16 10th May 2007
The second volume of the .hack//G.U. series RPG has been released. Available on Usenet.
[Reply]
Harrison 22:57 10th May 2007
Nice. I will have to get hold of that once I've cleared some HD space.

And as the second volume has been released it sounds promising that an English release of the final volume will happen. It is always such a danger with Japanese RPG series that the west sees the first ported and then we never see the rest.
[Reply]
Submeg 00:19 11th May 2007
How many games of the .Hack series are there? wasnt it four?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 00:28 11th May 2007
The first series were 4 games, this series does have only 3. Take a look at the RPG list topic for further information.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:31 11th May 2007
It can definitely be a confusing series to begin with due to there being so many parts. All of them do follow on from each other, but the first 4 .hack games were 4 parts of the same storyline, and the current .hack//GU series that is running is a three part series that follows on from the original 4 but further into the future.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:22 17th May 2007
I just tested the game, and it seems that it has nothing more than vol 1. But I didn't compare both now. When you start you can walk at foot or use a bike while pressing [], which was fun, as the city was very large.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:26 17th May 2007
I've burnt the game to disc but not tested it yet. I expected it to be very similar to the first though as it is the second volume in the series. I will test it later and see what its like.
[Reply]
Harrison 03:22 6th June 2007
I finally got around to giving this game a test and it does follow on directly from the first volume and seems to share near identical graphics and controls which is no surprise considering it is an ongoing saga.

I've not played all of the Dot Hack games through yet but I am worried that the story could start to get a little boring and too similar after playing through all of the first 4 parts of the original .hack series and then continuing on to this GU series that is a direct sequel to the original storyline. But I expect that is just looking at it from the point of view of already having all of the current 6 parts in my possession, whereas originally fans would have been waiting for the release of each part to play it.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:20 6th June 2007
Originally Posted by :
whereas originally fans would have been waiting for the release of each part to play it.
Same was with Xenosaga, although I d/l them, but I had episode 2 finished and episode 3 wasn't yet released, so I had to wait a bit. Pretty annoying if you want to continue with the story.

But if the story is good, like it was in Xenosaga, although very hard to follow and understand all the time, it's fun to play some episodes. But Xenosaga changed battle system and some other things in every episode, which I think is not the case with the .hack series, thus getting boring sooner.
[Reply]
Harrison 17:53 6th June 2007
Xenosaga and the older Xenogears is a great series and changing the control systems and gaming interfaces between parts, even altering the style slightly was a great way to keep the series fresh and generated a lot of new interest when playing each part.

I think some elements of the original 4 .hack parts did get minor updates to their interface and control mechanics but not that much between chapters and quickly playing GU Vol 2 it looked, felt and played identically to Vol 1 which might be a good or bad thing depending, as you say, on how good the story in the series maintains its momentum and continues to introduce new elements into the story.

I do intend to play through the whole .hack series at some point so I will finally find out once I do.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up