Poll: Do you still own Amigas today?
Do you still own Amigas today?
  • View Poll Results

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Thread: Do you still own Amigas today?
    Puni/Void 09:38 6th April 2008
    Originally Posted by :
    I've got a few pg...
    The a1200 has a blizzard 1240 card, subway usb, internal scandoubler, internal cd drive, buffered ide interface and a 4gb hard drive.

I've only just got the a3000 so am part way through a refurb but at the moment its got a Cybervision 643d card, ram expansion and a buddha card which connects to a 40gb hard drive and a cdrom.
    Oh and a very talented person off another amiga forum is making me a simm adaptor for a full 16mb of ram.
    I see that your 1200 has a lot of expansions, which includes the Subway USB controller. Was this controller easy to install, and is it stable and reliable? Would love to have USB on my Amiga, as it would be much easier to use cheap hardware for various tasks.
    [Reply]
    eroom 14:09 6th April 2008
    Originally Posted by P G:
    I see that your 1200 has a lot of expansions, which includes the Subway USB controller. Was this controller easy to install, and is it stable and reliable? Would love to have USB on my Amiga, as it would be much easier to use cheap hardware for various tasks.
    It was easy to install, the only thing you got to make sure of is that your 1200 has got a compatible clockport i.e. either all of it or just the right side of it.
    My 1200 had the full clockport so i had to bend a few pins out the way to get the subway connector on.

And in use I have found it to be stable and reliable, transfering files between my pc and the 1200 has never been easier

Cheers.

Paul.
    [Reply]
    Puni/Void 16:10 6th April 2008
    @Eroom

Originally Posted by :
    It was easy to install, the only thing you got to make sure of is that your 1200 has got a compatible clockport i.e. either all of it or just the right side of it.
    My 1200 had the full clockport so i had to bend a few pins out the way to get the subway connector on.

And in use I have found it to be stable and reliable, transfering files between my pc and the 1200 has never been easier
    Thanks for the info concerning the Subway USB, Eroom. Is it compatible with most USB hardware, or are there some stuff that doesn't work?
    [Reply]
    eroom 16:51 8th April 2008
    The only things I've tried it with are mice and flash drives which of the ones that I tried all work perfectly.

The difference in transfering files from my pc to the 1200 via the flash drive instead of burning a disc etc is worth the price of the subway alone .

Cant try anything else at the moment as i've got the 1200 in bits trying to figure out how to add some extra cooling for the 040.

Cheers
    Paul.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 16:59 8th April 2008
    The 040 is quite hard to provide adequate cooling for when installed in a standard desktop A1200 case. I remember many people used to raise the system up higher on some legs to give more air flow under the case, and install a case fan in the trapdoor.
    [Reply]
    Buleste 21:16 8th April 2008
    The guy i bought my PPC board from added a heatsink and a fan onto the 040 chip which added about 2 inches so it could never fit into a desktop at all but it never overheats. I do remember when i did have a desktop and an 040 that it was almost unusable due to the overheating.
    [Reply]
    Puni/Void 20:38 9th April 2008
    @Harrison

Originally Posted by :
    The 040 is quite hard to provide adequate cooling for when installed in a standard desktop A1200 case. I remember many people used to raise the system up higher on some legs to give more air flow under the case, and install a case fan in the trapdoor.
    This is all very familiar to me, as I was in the exact same situation. Tried the thing you mentioned with raising the computer on legs to provide air flow, and if I remember correctly, it helped a bit. Did also use a small fan for a while, which was attached to the turbo-card. The problem was that it was incredibly loud, and I just couldn't bare having it installed over time.
    [Reply]
    Cortona 20:23 10th September 2008
    For the record, I still have my A1200 with the willfully uncooperative floppy drives. I gave up my PC for a G5 iMac (does that make me a wa*ker?) I'd have another PC if I had the room, just for games and emulators. One day...
    [Reply]
    woody.cool 22:39 10th September 2008
    I still own my original Amigas and have bought others over the years. I have the following Amigas:

A500
    A500+ (in state of repair at the mo - I had this since new from back in '88)
    A600
    A600HD
    A1200
    A1200 in power tower
    A1500 (DEAD - but OK for spares & repairs)
    A2000 (early NTSC model)
    CD32

and I also own several PCs.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 23:31 10th September 2008
    Originally Posted by woody.cool:
    A500+ (in state of repair at the mo - I had this since new from back in '88)
    I thought the A500+ was only released in 1990/91? Commodore first started to sell them secretly with them appearing instead of the standard A500 in the same packaging so many new owners were quite surprised when they opened up their new Amiga to find an updated version.
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Up