Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: How much is a CDTV worth?
Stephen Coates 10:14 28th December 2006
I'm interested in obtaining a CDTV sometime. How much would one be worth either with or without accessories like keyboard and mouse?

I was just wondering because a nice one with accessories sold for £33 on ebay yesterday.

Thanks
[Reply]
Harrison 10:39 28th December 2006
£33??? That was a really good price.

For a standalone CDTV with a working remote, in good boxed condition I would put a price of around £40-50, and with accessories such as black keyboard, floppy drive and mouse I've seen them go over £100 in the past couple of years.
[Reply]
LowercaseE 12:06 28th December 2006
I would like to have a CDTV someday too, but right now I just don't have the room for it or the time to spend messing with it. I can't imagine them getting any easier to find over time though.
[Reply]
Ghost 12:10 28th December 2006
In what way does a CDTV differ from other Amigas with the exception of the standard CD rom?

I saw them once in the store years ago but I couldn't see anything special about them.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 12:53 28th December 2006
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...2972&rd=1&rd=1

Kinda wish I bidded on it now.
[Reply]
Ghost 13:23 28th December 2006
Oh, that is a shame but unfortunate this kind of shit happens.

I am still pissed I forgot all about that Fallout US version they auctioned not so long ago.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 16:19 28th December 2006
Sad that you missed the auction concerning the US version of Fallout. Would love having the original version of that one myself. Hope you will find it again sometime in the future.

The CDTV was a cool multimedia machine with slick design. They were not sold in the same quantities as the Amiga 500 and the Amiga 1200. They will be harder and harder to acquire in the future. As for the price, I was a bit surprised it was that low. Thought such an item would sell for much more.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 05:29 29th December 2006
As an owner of a CDTV, I have to say that I like it, the design is awesome, and it's bigger than a PS3. But on the other side I'm really disappointed, it's a machine to own, not for real use.

I ran some games over an external floppy drive, and that worked out fine, even playing with the cool remote, but running the demo CD really got me yawning.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:46 29th December 2006
The problem with the CDTV was that it was basically just an A500 with 1MB of ram and a CD drive instead of a floppy drive. As many said at the time, the CDTV was innovation before the world was ready for it. Commodore had the idea right, but the technology wasn't quite ready for their ideas. No proper full motion video was one big problem for any technology at the time, with different systems trying to take advantage of the large capacity of the CD drive for this purpose but instead only capable of running very low quality, blocky video with limited framerate and colour. And this wasn't really addressed until MPEG 1 started to appear and one reason the PSOne was so popular.

The CDTV is still a cool system to own, but as you say DC, not really of much practical use.
[Reply]
J T 14:22 29th December 2006
I'm not sure I've ever seen a CDTV. Nor a CD32.

I'd like to have a go on one just to say I've had a go.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up