Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: How much is a CDTV worth?
Harrison 12:50 6th January 2007
An external floppy drive was a great purchase for the Amiga. It really helped with disk copying and for playing multi-disk games. It was always annoying how so many games never supported external floppy drives though and would insist on the next disk being inserted into the internal drive and completely ignoring the external one.

I had quite a few external Amiga drives over the years. Most were from Power Computing and contained the X-Copy Pro compatible hardware for copying non dos disks. I had the 2 drive external unit, a single drive unit, and later on for the A1200 I got a HD floppy unit to use HD 1.76MB Amiga floppies as well as 1.44MB PC floppies. I actually needed to buy that unit so I could access the floppy disks I was using at univeristy at the time.

Good luck on bidding for the CDTV Steve. How much is is going for at the moment? Remember that being a German CDTV it might come with a 110v PSU!
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 12:54 6th January 2007
I still have two 3½ and one 5¼ inch external floppy drives for the amiga.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 13:53 6th January 2007
Originally Posted by :
A CDTV isn't that little is it?
I'm not sure how big it is. I was refering more to the shape of it and the fact that it lacks a built in keyboard which makes it more suitable for putting underneath a television.

Originally Posted by :
Good luck on bidding for the CDTV Steve. How much is is going for at the moment? Remember that being a German CDTV it might come with a 110v PSU!
110v? Does Germany not use 240v like we do here? If it does have a 110v power adaptor I'll be able to get a 240v adaptor.

It is currently at £22.79/EUR33.83.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:59 6th January 2007
Originally Posted by :
Does Germany not use 240v like we do here?
Yes, it's 220V/240V (in whole Europe I think). But unlike the GX4000 PSU I got, it doesn't have 3 connectors but 2, standard european.

The CDTV is as big as the very old CD players that were released in the early nineties. I just measured, and it's 430 x 330 x 90 and it's quite heavy.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:05 6th January 2007
Didn't know Germany was 240V. Are you sure whole of Europe is the same? I'm sure France is 110V, but I could be wrong.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:09 6th January 2007
France is also 220V.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 17:48 6th January 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Didn't know Germany was 240V. Are you sure whole of Europe is the same? I'm sure France is 110V, but I could be wrong.
Yes, Europe is 240v. I know for a fact that France is 240v. I thought it would be a bit odd for Germany to be 110v.

I think there are only a few countries that used 110v.
[Reply]
Harrison 17:55 6th January 2007
Strange. I don't know why I thought they were different.

I found this useful voltages in each country Wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_frequencies

The US and Japan are 110V but most other places are 240V.
[Reply]
Teho 18:25 6th January 2007
The thing with the CDTV's size is that it wasn't designed or marketed to be a computer system in the first place, but rather a multimedia machine belonging in the livingroom. Commodore even insisted that retailers not have it in their computer sections, but in their stereo sections instead. So it's the same size as other stereo components from that time so it'd fit into any rack and blend in perfectly.
[Reply]
Harrison 18:36 6th January 2007
Although by todays standards it is quite big. And the CD caddy is just as annoying as all the early CD systems that used them.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up