Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Poll: How did you get your first Amiga?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
How did you get your first Amiga?
  • View Poll Results

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Thread: How did you get your first Amiga?
    FOL 14:29 18th August 2007
    I was lucky, in the fact my father owned the only Computer shop in my home town. I had asked for an Atari STE for christmas (as i was a good boy, and didnt want them to spend alot).

Come Christmas eve (I sat there all night looking at the big present) about 1 AM, my mother said "for crying out loud opening it". So I did, and to my suprise it was a Flight Of Fantasy Amiga 500 (My father even threw in an 512kb extra mem).

Best Christmas ever,
    [Reply]
    Harrison 16:06 18th August 2007
    Definitely sounds like a brilliant Christmas, especially if you had been expecting an ST and instead got the much better Amiga.

Did you also have access to the games in your Dad's shop?
    [Reply]
    FOL 16:07 18th August 2007
    Originally Posted by Harrison:
    Definitely sounds like a brilliant Christmas, especially if you had been expecting an ST and instead got the much better Amiga.

Did you also have access to the games in your Dad's shop?
    I did indeed, . Ah, those were the days.
    [Reply]
    Submeg 23:56 18th August 2007
    Damn that is extremley cool...thats like expecting an Xbox and getting a PS3!
    [Reply]
    Demon Cleaner 07:18 21st August 2007
    That must have been some real golden years I suppose. We didn't have a lot of shops here in whole Luxembourg.
    [Reply]
    Bloodwych 17:22 31st August 2007
    mmmmm what memories! My very first Amiga.

While I was at junior school, my friends older brother had an Atari ST. Once I saw Defender of the Crown, Plutos (yes PLUTOS!) and Time Bandit I knew the spectrum had to go. Bought one of them to start with and spent many hours on Barbarian, Star Wars, Super Sprint (what a game), Captain Blood, Livingstone I Presume and many other classic titles.

Then, a few years later at comprehensive school, I came across the first Amiga 500 I'd seen. Man, I was blown away by the sound and graphics of the Blood Money intro, the full screen smooth scrolling of Hybris and left gobsmacked at seeing 32 (yes 32!) colours onscreen. I knew the ST had to go.

Got the Batman pack for xmas after selling the ST to some poor sucker. Hope he was a midi fanatic because he should have been looking at the Amiga before parting with his hard earned cash.

Best xmas ever! F-18 interceptor for most of that day! A few months later Bloodwych was released...
    [Reply]
    Harrison 18:05 31st August 2007
    I went the same route as you, starting with an Atari ST before later ditching it for an Amiga. My reason was more the cost and my lack of money when I bought the ST, as the Amiga was £200 more at the time. I only paid £199 for an STFM, while the A500 was still £399. I still regretted buying the ST soon after once all the games started appearing on both platforms and I could clearly see the ST was very inferior with it's huge 8-bit like borders around the screen, unlike the full overscan screens of many Amiga versions. Plus the better graphics and sound. I still enjoyed the ST but wished for an Amiga the whole time.
    [Reply]
    Bloodwych 19:33 31st August 2007
    Yep, Amiga's were not cheap. Started out at £499 with Kickstart 1.2 in the UK, jumping down to that magical £399 mark by the time I picked one up. Considering inflation, that's a lot of money!!! Wonder what the equivalent price would be now? £799?

Makes you wonder why people complain so much about the price of the PS3.
    [Reply]
    AlexJ 01:21 1st September 2007
    Originally Posted by Bloodwych:
    Considering inflation, that's a lot of money!!! Wonder what the equivalent price would be now? £799?
    Fairly close actually, inflation adjusted the A500 at £399 would cost £694.06 in today's money. At launch in 1987 the A500 was £587 which is £1154.43 in today's money
    [Reply]
    StuKeith 21:28 6th September 2007
    ~I used to go around a mates from school, every so often and play on his A500 he had. That was great. Another mate also had a 500 I used to play on. He then got a A600 and then a CD32.

I think i Brought his old A500 from him, either that or I got it from the Freeadds.

The is someone selling a boxed A1200 this week for £100 in the freeadds.
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Up