Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Fibre upgrade - switching provider
Harrison 09:42 Yesterday
I had an email saying my current BT Full Fibre 900 contract came to an end. They offered to continue it and renew it, but wanted £94 per month for the privilege. When I first took the old contract out I think it was £79.

I have stayed with BT for many years because although they are the most expensive, the connection has been really reliable.

However they also offered to upgrade me to their new EE fibre, so I took a look. When it dropped me over to the EE site they were offering me the equivalent 1Gbit package for £84, so only saving me £10 per month. And only 1Gbit (never thought I would refer to that as "only"). But I knew from checking my address (after Kin gave me the heads up about EE merging with BT) that I could get their 1.6Gbit speed. But being linked from my BT account they wouldn't give me the option.

So I created a new EE account and after it checked my location offered me the 1.6Gbit speed for £69 per month. You have to be careful because they were going to offer me a lower package for £15 more if I'd just gone with their initial offer. Shouldn't be allowed to do that but Im sure many see the supposed £10 saving on their BT offer and just go for it.

So EE are meant to be installing it on the 18th June in the morning. But sure why they need to install anything as I already have the fibre installed. Just a case of swapping the routers over and letting it connect. At least if anything doesn't work an Openreach engine will be here.

Looking into the EE broadband hub, I remember Kin saying it wasn't impressed with it and replaced it with an after market model. However some have done a steip form of the EE router and other than the case it's identical to my existing BT Halo3 hub, and I've been perfectly happy with that in all the time I've had it, so if it works as well I'm happy to keep that for the moment.

Only issue I know with the EE hub is it only has 1Gbit ethernet ports, so I can utilise the full 1.6Gbit speed over one Ethernet connection which might convince me to eventually upgrade. Router recommentations please for me to consider. Any would meet to have Wifi mesh support and come with at least 1 mesh wifi extender that could be extended via a hardwire ethernet connection for the garden studio.

Anyway, now to wait until the 18th June for the install. Guaranteed minimum download speed is 1300Mbps so that's good enough. Sadly still only 115Mbps upload. Must be a limitation of my exchange. I was gob they might offer a faster upload, but 115Mb is still fast enough for most uploading I do for server updates.

I also looked at the EE mobile offers, as you get a 30% discount for being a member, but they are as bad as BTs prices. Silly money for a monthly contract. So I will be sticking with Sky for mobile contacts. Far cheaper.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up