Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Full Fibre for Kin's address.....
J T 01:30 15th February 2024
Originally Posted by Harrison:

One of the slowest can be Microsoft Store. When it's doing some Windows app updates it can be really slow at downloading. Not sure why, just does.
Could it be the sheer number of users all doing the exact same thing at the same time? I seem to recall some other system (Apple sprrings to mind, iOS I think) updates were like this too, in the past, itd be painfully slow if I tried to get the update shortly after it was released.... cos everyone else was too....
[Reply]
Harrison 01:25 16th February 2024
Possible, but when others like Steam and the PS5 can pull updates down at full speed I'm not so sure.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 07:27 17th February 2024
Originally Posted by Kin Hell:
Who are you getting full fibre with? Obviously faster than openreach.
EE are offering 1.6 through BT/Openreach/Wholesale.... In fact, this is upping to 1.8G sometime real soon with concerns that 2.5G platform will not have the bandwidth, let alone the future plans of 10G

---->EE will front all the sales for BT from here on...<---- .

1.8G would mean downloading the Windows Pro 11 ISO image in around 30 seconds & 30GB movie files in around 2.5 minutes.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...d-of-2023.html
I had a quick look and couldn't find any mention of Openreach offering such speed. For my postcode it still shows my current connection is the best I can get, which is 980mbps down and 110mbps up.
Meh!

Do EE offer Full Fibre in your Area H? -= Drop your Postcode in here: https://ee.co.uk/broadband

Afaik, BT will cease selling Broadband packages all together eventually. - This is in line with BT & EE now partnering up.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:17 17th February 2024
Ok that link is showing my address can get 1.6Gb down 115Mb up. Its about the same as I'm paying now on BT.

But do I need it faster then I currently have which is about 1Gb? My home network is only running at 1Gb anyway as I have no 2.5 of 10Gb devices so it wouldn't really benefit anything individually, and that's a point. Most home devices only have 100Mb or 1Gb ethernet ports so for the fastest connections we are finally hitting a bottleneck at the consumer end.

And as I've mentioned before. I don't use my connection all of the time like I did before getting full fibre. Now it only takes a few minutes to download anything. Even the latest games take less than 30 minutes. Most usenet and torrents are done in minutes too. Then the connection is just sitting there. I never thought I would ever say I don't need a faster connection, but it's true for downloads. Faster upload would be worth it though for server work and uploading files.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:28 17th February 2024
I'm also not sure EE and BT will merge and the EE brand will take over. Do you have any links about this? BT have owned EE for years.

Since upgrading to full fibre my package has been a combination of a BT halo hub and an EE 5G hub anyway. If my fibre drops the connection the EE 5G router takes over until its restored. My package also included 2 BT wifi mesh discs. And these ugly work with the BT hub and work really well so I wouldn't really want to hassle off having to find an alternative solution. And I use one of the BT discs in an unusual way that confused the BT engineer last time he was here as he didn't realise you could do it. From the main router I have it connected to an ethernet port on the wall that runs into the garage into a network switch. This switch then connects to all other ethernet cables running around the house. One of these runs out of the house along an armoured ethernet cable down the garden 50 meters to the studio. This is plugged into another network switch, and into that is plugged one of the BT discs. This is connected to the home network via the ethernet port and then repeats my wifi network down in the studio. It replicates the same wifi network with the same id and password. So any smart devices connected down there can still be controlled from the house. This also includes a Sky Q mini box, smart TV, Akexa Show, weather station, smart electric heater, and other things. If I changed ISP I don't think any other providers offer a similar setup which could be a bit of a headache.

Having the wifi repeated right down the garden also means I have one of my weatherstation outside modules in my greenhouse so I can monitor the temperature, humidity etc in there. Plus I get wifi anywhere in my garden!
[Reply]
Kin Hell 09:18 18th February 2024
I'm also not sure EE and BT will merge and the EE brand will take over. Do you have any links about this? BT have owned EE for years.

<snip>
Search for this in Google..... EE and BT will merge

On the first loaded page it says:

Originally Posted by Google:
The EE brand is becoming the primary consumer brand for BT. This means you may start to see the EE brand on devices and online. When you renew your contract you'll be offered EE packages and products.

BT unveils plans to make EE its consumer-facing brand

If you're on BT, why haven't you seen any of their Marketing adverts, Email material, podcasts, Facebook-ism's etc etc?
[Reply]
J T 00:54 19th February 2024
Possible, but when others like Steam and the PS5 can pull updates down at full speed I'm not so sure.
Fair point but I'm still interested and curious, there's a reason somewhere. What's the user base of each of those services, as I wonder if that's a factor too - like how many devices are trying to do a similar thing all at the same time? somewhere between 10 to 100 million would be my guess, for steam and PS5, which is of course not insignificant. But the user base for Windows would be wayyyyyy higher, I'd guess at many hundreds of millions - personal, corporate/business, etc

Although, possibly MS are cheapskates. Are Steam and Sony using a different set of data centres that microsoft couldn't bear to use? Or maybe, the speed just isn't that important to MS.

- - - Updated - - -

I never thought I would ever say I don't need a faster connection, but it's true for downloads.
Just as I was thinking, yeah, same, me too..... and even considering downgrading to a cheaper plan (with less speed) I saw that some of the telcos here in aus are now doing 1gig for not much more than I currently pay (for 100meg).

Now, I don't need the speed and as I dont have any cabled up devices it would be totally pointless but.... still part of me is tempted to upgrade instead of downgrade.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 09:59 19th February 2024
Originally Posted by J T:
<snip>

Just as I was thinking, yeah, same, me too..... and even considering downgrading to a cheaper plan (with less speed) I saw that some of the telcos here in aus are now doing 1gig for not much more than I currently pay (for 100meg).

Now, I don't need the speed and as I don't have any cabled up devices it would be totally pointless but.... still part of me is tempted to upgrade instead of downgrade.

Those famous Jeremy Clarkson words....

More Power!!
[Reply]
Kin Hell 16:19 27th March 2024
The EE Router/Hub has to be the biggest pile of crap I think I have ever experienced on any Internet service into my home. The delay in pages loading is nothing short of pathetic.... 30+ seconds is an average.

Despite this annoyance, the Wi-Fi speed will give me almost the same download speed as the wired connection at around 940/960Mbit. So, not getting the full service to any one single device on my network, I decided to upgrade my network in home to something a little more suitable.

Choice is vast & there is little point discussing what I considered along the way other than finally deciding on a Ubiquiti solution. The decision was based purely on functionality as well as power consumption for the bandwidth supplied.
The final candidate was the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Special Edition. Marginally more expensive than the Pro but more feature rich & 10G support.

So, after sacking EE/BT's shitty solution of just over 900Mbit control for the UDM-SE, I now have the full 10Gbit speeds available to my mancave & all via CAT7/8 RJ45.
Currently;
Link speed from ONT to UDM is 1.6Gbit via the UDM-SE WLAN 2.5G RJ45. The UDM-SE also has 10G in via SFP module when the service is available.
Link from UDM-SE to my rig in the mancave is 10G via 10G SFP module on a CAT7 RJ45 to a 10G Ethernet port on the Z690 motherboard.
When utilised...
Link from UDM-SE to a 5 Port 2.5Gbit switch in my mancave will be 10G. This bandwidth will be available to my Main Rig, home server & anything plugged in on my desk/test bench.
The rest of the house gets Gigabit which is still fine for 4K Streaming if needed.

Other reasons for the UDM-SE as a solution was the integrated hard drive option to record Video Surveillance & the remote access from anywhere in the World to my home network. - Answer the doorbell away from home; Turn the heating on whilst driving home on a cold nigh & so on....

On the EE shitty affair the best I saw for a single download speed was around 106Mb/Sec. The UDM-SE has let me see 206Mb/Sec via Steam. Something like 80GB in around 6 minutes!

This is a seriously nice solution to manage any Network at a relatively low cost. The simple integration of other Ubiquiti Network products is completely seamless with this bad boy in control.

Have a read. https://ui.com/uk/en
[Reply]
Harrison 22:55 27th March 2024
Ubiquiti products have been getting some great reviews recently. Definitely would buy their products in the future.

Downloading 80GB that fast really is something isn't it.

Problem I have though is how I've set my network up. The BT discs that link my studio to the house only work with the BT Halo 2 hub, so I would need to replace them along with the router if I did change it and as it's all working ok at the moment I'm leaving it be. Have it setup and working just as I want.

BTW, mad that the EE equipment is so bad. Any idea who manufactured it? The BT hubs have been pretty reliable for me so far and I've been using them a very long time. Maybe have to restart it 3 times a year.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up