Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: AmiKit for PiStorm Amiga's
Kin Hell 09:53 4th February 2024
I've supported AmiKit for some years now & finally decided to invest & see what it looks like on my Re-Amiga CM4 PiStorm.

First impressions are not good....

The Media provided was a 64GB MicorSD card. - Samsung 64 EVO Plus to be exact.

Read speeds of 97Mb/Sec & write times of 1.8Mb/Sec!? It took 15 minutes to run the bloody Benchmark!?

AmiKit MicroSD Speed.jpg

I backed the 64GB MicroSD up to a USB stick that can read/write @ over 300Mb/sec via USB3.2.
I then copied all the files I want to install to the FAT partition that AmiKit see's once it's set itself up & also all the necessary files to install AmiKit to the Media. WB3.2.2 ADF files & relevant Hotfix.
Picasso96 has to be the version from Aminet. - It will not use the registered version from Jens @ Individual, but it should upgrade without issue.

The real problem is AmiKit forces Roadshow. If you run the Roadshow Installer to Uninstall Roadshow, the Amiga gets locked in a constant Loop of Guru Meditations thereafter. I'm pretty good with workbench but for the life in me, can't find what's causing this. I can force it to boot but with a limited start up, can't access files I need to in order to try & fix the problem.

Restoring the Image from the 300Mb/Sec USB stick to the supplied 64GB MicroSD card took 8 hours yesterday!

Hardly surprising when the Media supplied is only 1.8Mb/Sec ffs. - Smelling of "China" right now ffs....

So, I now have a Disk Image with all the set up files in place & can write the 64GB drive image to a Samsung 128PRO Plus MicroSD in about ten minutes. This beauty performs @ 97Mb/Sec Read & 86Mb/sec Write.

Another MicroSD Speed.jpg

So yeah, first impressions are not good & the AmiKit install is not complete until it goes on line to update & endorse your Purchased Serial code. You can't just set Miami up because anoher TCP/IP stack is running & there appears to be now way of stopping it so far.

Meh! - First impressions so far are making me wish I hadn't bothered buying it now.

*Edit* Even more frustrating is the Image I made of the Original shit slow 64GB MicroSD card is corrupt, so when I write the Image back to any MicrosSD, it's completely F'kd. No Image to download afaik so waiting to hear from Jan now.

What a crock of utter BS & a complete waste of a weekend. - Not in a very good place for this right schnitt right now! - Grrrrr!

Kin's computer room now resembles a Wall of Death Event on a seriously fast Motorcycle....
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up