Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: IBM PC Emulator for Browsers
Harrison 20:43 3rd December 2023
I just came across this website that offers the ability to emulate the original IBM PC in a browser Window.

https://www.pcjs.org/

You can select many different PC configurations and can emulater PCs ranging from the very first IBM 5150, through many clones and newer models, as well as picking OSs from all DOS versions to 6 and GUI OS's including OS/2 and Windows from 1 through to 95.

If you ever really want to see what the really bad Windows 1 looked like and worked then here is your chance. They load and run perfectly to show you how they worked. There is also an extensive range of early software including games and applications you can run. Well worth a look for a bit of nostalgia, without thy hassle of setting it up yourself in an emulator.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 14:47 4th December 2023
LOL @ Windows 95!! win95.jpg

Having just tried Dune II, you still get asked for Authentication. - Like what's the speed of this vehicle or what's this structure called?
[Reply]
Harrison 15:15 4th December 2023
95 was so basic and minimalist by today's standards. And the HDD footprint was massive when you consider how little it offered over similar much smaller OSs on the Mac and Amiga at the time.

But you need to load Windows 1 just to see what was little more than a joke attempt at an OS. How anyone took that as a serious OS in the business world is beyond me.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 16:35 4th December 2023
Indeed H.....

Workbench 1.3 was way way better.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:10 5th December 2023
And that's saying something! Windows even made Mac OS look good!
[Reply]
Kin Hell 16:18 5th December 2023

[Reply]
J T 23:42 5th December 2023
Whenever I see a Win95 screenshot I'm hit with a flood of nostalgia, fond memories for a time when things were fresh and new, there were surprises (some good, some bad).

I really do think that for all the polish and shine and competency of new OSs, something has been lost. Maybe it's in terms of personality, charm, even the flaws that we had to work around... or maybe it's just that we are now overly-familiar with the new ones. Sure the new ones are better but I like them less. In another 20 to 30 years time I am confident that I won't be misty eyed like this about Windows 10, or Mac OS 13.6.1, just as I won't care much about the model of washing machine or dishwasher. Modern computers just seem like an appliance, white goods. Couldn't do without them but don't much care for the details as long as they do the job.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 03:04 6th December 2023
Originally Posted by J T:
Modern computers just seem like an appliance, white goods. Couldn't do without them but don't much care for the details as long as they do the job.
Well it absolutely depends what you're doing with it. I'm using it daily for hours to work with, mainly to work with emulation and retro stuff, but also quite a lot for gaming lately. My father does his banking and holiday planning once in a while, if that's what you mean.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up