Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: New Settlers game
Harrison 09:38 14th October 2023
From the developers of the original The Settlers comes Pioneers of Pagonia.

ss_c8abce54fa0d402ccbe090b6b2324442d7f72623 (1).jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...rs_of_Pagonia/

Due for release on 13th December this looks like it will capture of original's charm more than most of the sequels. There is a demo currently available to try.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 08:42 15th October 2023
Now doesn't that look pretty!
[Reply]
J T 11:07 18th October 2023
Ive never played a settlers game, but that does look nice. Is there combat / conflict in settlers games? I feel kind of like I'd enjoy a game a bit like Civilization but without the rush to fighting that Civ always seems to get to whenever I play it - could a Settlers game be what I'm looking for?
[Reply]
Harrison 12:52 19th October 2023
Never played Settlers?

They are much more relaxing than civilization. The main aim is to start and build your settlement. And you can spend ages just watching them go about their daily lives.

You start with a main castle, lay roads and select pieces for buildings to make your settlement grow. So woodman, sawmill, fisherman, farmer, flower mill, stone mason etc. Once build each building becomes occupied and you can then watch the woodman cut dien trees and drag them back to his house, the fisherman go fishing, thy farming plowing, sowing and cutting the crops. And each road has a eunner who collected items from each craftsman and takes it to the next place its needed.

You also need to defend your borders from opposition settlers. You build watch towers at the edge of your land and they become occupied with soldiers. You can commnd them to attack a neighbour, or they will defend an attack. But the fighting between opponents is only a small part of the game. Its main charm is watching everyone going about their daily lives.
[Reply]
J T 02:11 20th October 2023
That sounds like the kind of game that would appeal to me. Do Settlers game require a big time commitment or can they be done in shorter 'pick up n play' bursts?
[Reply]
Harrison 11:31 20th October 2023
The original you could just play for an hour. You can save your settlement and load it back up again later and carry on. There was an updated version of the second game, called The Settlers 2 - 10th anniversary edition. It was released in 2011, but it's the one closest to the Amiga originaI, but updated, and I still play. It's on Steam and runs fine on current systems.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up