Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Raspberry Pi 5 on its way!
Harrison 10:20 29th September 2023
SmartSelect_20230928_153924_Facebook.jpg

https://techcrunch.com/2023/09/27/ra...f0JMKhS6VB_i8c

Announced this week, the Raspberry Pi 5 is on its way, and will be availble to buy before Christmas. They have stated 1 million will be manufactured before the end of the year.

This is a big upgrade over the RPi4. Estimated to have 2 to 3 times the performance and available in 4GB and 8GB versions. Costing between $60-80 depending on the version. It also adds USB-C charging, Wifi6, faster BT and dual 4K HDMI outputs.

This could really add a great performance boost for emulation.

They also stated the RPi4 will continue being made until at least 2035 so for any project that doesn't need the extra power the much cheaper older version will still be available.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:10 29th September 2023
Did you try out my SD card (before buying a Pi5 )
[Reply]
Kin Hell 09:00 30th September 2023
Indeed H. Lots more performance & then some....

I was reading about it over @ EAB last night. Some very impressive Stats & what a great bang for every buck.

The inclusion of a Southbridge chip has effectively sped up all the I/O functions accross the whole board

Can't wait for the CM5 module to arrive for my upgrade!

CPUCart.jpg

[Reply]
Harrison 12:59 30th September 2023
Here is a link to some extensive early benchmarks.

https://www.phoronix.com/review/rasp...i-5-benchmarks

It's a massive performance increase over the existing RPi4. And as you said, the new in-house southbridge has really helped it.

Regarding PiStorm, I've been told they have no plans to support or utilise the RPi5. One reason being that the Amiga can't see more then 2GB ram (32bit address limited I'm assuming). Shame with such a performance increase.

It has got me wondering if the RPi5 would be the perfect hardware for the future of AmigaOS. They keep plowing on with tunnel vision with PPC. It's a dead technology and most are not prepared to pay silly money for proprietory motherboards. AmigaOS running on the RPi5 seems like it would be a great solution.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:06 30th September 2023
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
Did you try out my SD card (before buying a Pi5 )
Yes mate. But we haven't as much as we would like yet. I had some issues getting it to recognise and work with my various controllers. Managed to in the end, and worked perfectly. Come winter it will definition get some more attention.

I was considering the RPi5 for a new Arcade cabinet build. The much better performance reduces the need for a full PC build. And with this now also having PCI-E support it will be interesting to see what gets supported.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 17:00 30th September 2023
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Here is a link to some extensive early benchmarks.

https://www.phoronix.com/review/rasp...i-5-benchmarks

It's a massive performance increase over the existing RPi4. And as you said, the new in-house southbridge has really helped it.

Regarding PiStorm, I've been told they have no plans to support or utilise the RPi5. One reason being that the Amiga can't see more then 2GB ram (32bit address limited I'm assuming). Shame with such a performance increase.

It has got me wondering if the RPi5 would be the perfect hardware for the future of AmigaOS. They keep plowing on with tunnel vision with PPC. It's a dead technology and most are not prepared to pay silly money for proprietory motherboards. AmigaOS running on the RPi5 seems like it would be a great solution.
The CPU is in a different location on the PCB. I guess they've had to shove it over/lower for the Southbridge implimentation. This will cause issues on an A1200 for sure.
However, the CM 4 module is a different animal all together & I am sure there will be a CM5 released eventually. The Compute Modules sit very differently to the regular Pi boards.

Despite this, the pic of my hardware above pushes the Amiga A1200 to almost 2000 (Two Thousand) times faster than a stock A1200. It doesn't really need to be any faster; ....Or does it?
The I/O speed up would be nice though & the real beauty of my set up above is I can run Linux on my Amiga as well.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up