Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Future of classicamiga
Harrison 08:25 18th July 2023
I know I've mentioned many ideas and plans for the future of this forum and the main site, but just haven't had the time to progress with them.

Back in the first few years we managed to create a popular Amiga forum with loads of activity. At that time there was a big buzz around Amiga communities that attracted loads of interest. But as time has gone on its dropped right off. We still get a lot of visitors every days, including a few members who just read and never post, but really this has just become a long time internet friends forum. I'm ok with that and I'm not going to end the forum any time soon.

But what about the future of Classicamiga? The main site has been in maintenance mode for a very long time as I don't have the time to work on it and no menbers have added any new content in a long time. It is running on a very old version of Joopla and would need a complete remake to bring it up to date. I would love to do that, but know I don't have the time. It's also reliant on very old out of date web technology including very old versions of php and mysql. I already have to pay extra to continue support for these so the site keeps running. So I might start looking for alternative hosting, possible a cloud server, where I can move the main site and it can just run on a very old setup for the moment. It does still get a lot of vistors every day so is being used, so I Woodhorn want to close it.

As for the forum. Again it is still running on a very old version of vBulletin. And from last years attempts on Amibay to upgrade to vBulletin 5 I know the newer version of our forum software is a useless waste of time. So I will have to find the time at some point to migrate this forum to Xenforo. That's a must, more than just because we can.

My question is, what could we do with these forums? Any idea on how we could attract new menbers or bring back old ones? I'm open to any suggestions.

Do we just invite everyone back who's still registered once I migrate the forums? Or do we need to create something new to attact them to stay?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up