Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: DaVinci Resolve
Stephen Coates 23:56 8th July 2023
Does anyone here use DaVinci Resolve for video editing?

I've wanted to give it a go for some time but the Linux version wouldn't work properly on my old graphics card. I'm pleased to say that it now works fine on my "new" graphics card.

I've only had a brief play with it, and have not read the manual, but my first impressions are good. Its interface seems very 'usable'. The only major downside is its lack of codec support; the free version on Linux doesn't support h.264, which necessitates transcoding to DNXHR or similar.

I "obtained" a copy of Adobe Premiere CS5 a while back and have got on really well with it, as Premiere was the first editor I used years ago, it has a nice interface, and is well documented. But it is Windows only and the older versions don't support newer codecs/formats particularly well.

I often use Kdenlive for editing. It used to be very buggy, but has improved in recent years. It is based on ffmpeg so supports practically every codec and video format known to man, and can do a wide range of effects and processing. Compared to DaVinci and Premiere though it is a bit lacking in user interface; as is common with Linux software, the video processing parts are basically command-line utilities and Kdenlive gives you a GUI for them (which may or may not be easy to use).
[Reply]
Harrison 00:31 10th July 2023
I've never used DaVinci. Tend to like Adobe Premiere the most because I also use After Effects and Photoshop, so they all work seemlessly together.

For Linux editors have you looked at Shotcut? https://shotcut.org/
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 08:24 11th July 2023
I'm using the VideoPad Video Editor, mainly only needing it to cut videos for my LaunchBox games.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up