Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Kin's new PC Rig
Kin Hell 14:58 1st July 2023
I've been meaning to upload this for a while now.......

I upgraded from an Asus P8 Z77 V-Premium that was almost 8 years 0ld. - She'd seen many Graphics card Combos over those years such as three Way SLI GTX 670 Ti's, Dual SLI GTX 780 Ti's & finally dual SLI 1080 Ti's. Those 1080 Ti cards in SLI were absolute Monsters on Z77

System is as follows....

Tower Case: Modified Temjin TJ11
Motherboard: - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme
Intel i9 12900K 16Core/24 thread running @ 5.4Ghz PCore & 4.1Ghz ECore
Ram: Corsair DDR5 5600Hz Running @ 6000Hz
Graphics: Asus ROG Strix RTX3080 Ti
Keyboard: Corsair K100 Mechanical
Storage: 2 x 2TB WD Black PCIe4 NVMe's; 2 x 1TB WD Black PCIe4 NVMe's; 2 x 1TB Samsung EVO's; 2 x 500GB Samsung EVO's in RAID0.

So it all started Back in December 2021 & I allowed myself to be fleeced by Overc0ckers.co.uk over 600 bucks for 32GB Dual Channel DDR5 ram.

DDR5 was like hens teeth at the time so ended up paying three times what it costs now. The Motherboard blew me for £940 & the CPU was a stiff £650 event. - So many sexual sounding events.... But was there any pleasure?

Delivery #1 late December 2021 after Xmas :

Delivery01.jpg

Board Assembly:

Assembly01.jpg

Assembly02.jpg

Et voila.... One 0ld Z77 set up running two Zotac 1080 Ti's in SLI....

Z77 SLI.jpg

to this....

Z690 SLI.jpg

It had to be that particular motherboard for my dual Zotac GTX 1080 TI's in SLI. It was the only Z690 Board to give me the three Slot Spacing for a £60 HB SLI bridge I already owned. This also offered better & bigger spacing for the two cards vertically over the dual internal case fans & as the 1080 Ti's were air cooled, they stayed really cool for this set up.
The performance from those 1080 Ti's in SLI was absolutely phenomenal. The problem was, they were absolutely flat out on Z690 chipset. They completely flat lined on FPS in things like 3DMark.
The caveat with this Z690 board was if I put a PCIe 5 capable NVMe into said slot, (Under the OLED Heatsink above PCIe 1) the 2nd 16x PCIe slot would be disabled on the motherboard!
Another BF meaning upgrade the Gfx card. - SLI was dying.....

Only supported fully on RTX 20 series & then on on RTX 3090 Series. RTX 4090 does have SLI implemented on the PCB design, but no manufacturer actually produced one. - I'm sure Mr. nVidia has a few prototypes kicking around.

Anyway, back in September 2022, I bought a bargain RTX 3080 Ti brand new for £850 (retailed for £1299.99 @ Overc0ckers)

RTX3080Ti-01.jpg

& then decided to Water Cool everything because I had to remove one of the TJ11's internal Fans for the 3080 Ti to fit on Air.

IMG_20221013_143222874_HDR.jpg RTX3080Ti-02.jpg

Looking for a Water Block for the Strix 3080 Ti was an event beyond itself & led to a couple of catastrophic f'k up's along the way....
F'k One was having to remodel the first concept into concept #2 becuase if I wanted the latest water block from EK to cool both sides of the 3080 Ti, I would have to loose the OLED Heatsink that covers the only PCIe 5 slot on the Mobo.
So, hearing about the Heat on the backside of the RTX 3080/90 cards, |I was a tad miffed getting fux0rd for a £940 mobo event,

ROG Strix 3080 Ti comes with a switch on the side of it's PCB for an 1845Mhz Over Clock.... Pfffft my Ass it will do it on Air....

So after trawling the Web for a suitable Water block for this card, I found an EK Vector Strix block in a British Heart Foundation Shop on eBay for £70 delivered & unused. Overc0ckers were not having £160 for one with the Vector Strix2 @ nearly £200. - With the cash saved, I spent another £30 (was £70) with EK water blocks for a Flow indicator. This was fantastic in two ways. It gives the user a visual water flow indication & aligned the Distro Plates for the water circuit into the Graphics card in the best possible way

RTX3080Ti-03.jpg

Water Cooled with only the GPU cooled om the Vector Strix water block & an Aluminium Heat Sink on the Ram side of the card. - 3090 & Ti's have 24GB Ram on both sides of the card. The Strix 3080 Ti has heat around the GPU Side... not the back side.

Bar the shouting, nearly 2.3Ghz on the GPU! - Thats a 500Mhz Overclock on the GPU for water cooling....

These modern cards will throttle themselves for the heat they're suffering. Cool with water & the numbers climb drastically. This Valley Benchmark is after the completed build.

RTX3080Ti-04.jpg

Distro plates......

Distro Plates.jpg

If I used Phantek's 240 Plate.... Linky Poo ....

.... it would have halved the water-flow rate by splitting it in two. - Single Loop block Systems have a higher flow rate than split ones because of "Back Pressure".
Split flow rates will give less kick back pressure on the pump, but the depletion in pressure via two circuits doesn't get rid of the heat per "Water Cooled Component* as a continuous push on a single loop.

The caveat to this principle is to make sure each component cooled gets a Radiator after it in the Water Loop. - Hence two single D120 Distro Plates. - Please remember..... this is making/shoe horning/bastardising/fitting/engineering components you don't have before you buy it....

So I Printed two life size ones to work it all out....

Distro Plates Print.jpg

There are some Fundamental Graphical Curves here that I'd really not want to go into as an HND Mech/Elec Engineer. It's bloody Daunting....

More to follow guys.... BarbeQue was done Sat night.... School tomorrow.

Here was the first run for the build.....

FirstRun-01.jpg FirstRun-03.jpg

FirstRun-04.jpg FirstRun-05.jpg

FirstRun-06.jpg FirstRun-07.jpg

FirstRun-08.jpg FirstRun-10.jpg

See Post #8 for more....
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:33 1st July 2023
I thought you owned already a Z690?
[Reply]
Harrison 21:06 2nd July 2023
Very nice. I still need to build a new PC, but don't have the funds at the moment (keep spending it on the garden). I was planning a new build just as covid hit and the prices shot up, so I didn't even try.

There are some new GPUs appearing now in a good mid proce range. I can't justify the cost of top end GPUs, regardless of how much I would like one. So the new 4060 and RX7600 is now where I would be looking. And probably a Ryzen 7 or i7. But by the time I am ready things will have moved on again a bit. By the autumn hopefully.
[Reply]
J T 00:55 3rd July 2023
That looks like an impressive and high spec setup. How much have you spent all-up on that thing?

One thing that stood out to me - the rectangular CPU packaged in a circular packet, packaged diagonally into a cube-ish box.... seems really wasteful and space-inefficient even if it looks cool.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 14:04 3rd July 2023
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
I thought you owned already a Z690?
Yeah.... this one!

@ H

Cannon Fodder quote....

"It's a Jungle out there"....

Let it grow free. Burn it back when you need to & blow the cash your spending in the Jungle on some F A B things....

Originally Posted by J T:
That looks like an impressive and high spec setup. How much have you spent all-up on that thing?

One thing that stood out to me - the rectangular CPU packaged in a circular packet, packaged diagonally into a cube-ish box.... seems really wasteful and space-inefficient even if it looks cool.
Yeah. The Intel CPU packaging gave me a bit of a spank on the OCD Monkeh wagon!

More pics to follow yet......
[Reply]
Harrison 13:45 4th July 2023
Have you seen some of the new prebuilt ganing rigs appearing in thy last month? There was one at £4800 and that wasn't even the cheapest. And even rise had riom to expand. 64GB DDR5 on 2 slots, so room to expand to 128GB f.ex. The money you need now to built a real top end rig is getting serious. But in testing those rigs running games in 4k on ultra high settings were maintaining framerates over 100 which is mad when you think back just a few years.

But for everyday gaming at lower resolutions are still within reach of most. You can still build a decent 1080p rig for under £1000. But when I get round to it I will want to be able to run at 4K, even if not on ultra high settings on every game. So it will be a balancing act for me. But I am considering cashing in some of my unused retro collection as I hardly use a lot of it and it's been increasing in value a lot lately.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:45 4th July 2023
BTW, look forward to seeing the finished setup and some benchmarks!
[Reply]
Kin Hell 09:16 15th July 2023
Water Loop Filler Tube & Reservoir Flow & Return pipes....

FirstRun-11.jpg FirstRun-12.jpg

Getting really excited now....

FirstRun-13.jpg

FirstRun-14.jpg

Water loop Drain Cap....

FirstRun-15.jpg

"Oh ffs"..... After applying the Water block to the GPU, the damned assembly wouldn't clear the Radiator below it. - Re-work required.....

....Excitement quelled, more foreplay required....

Out with the 160mm fan mounts & cut to maintain the rear portion. This fixes & locates the motherboard Tray runners to the Chassis. The motherboard Tray slides into the TJ11 from the Top side.

ReMod-02.jpg

ReMod-01.jpg

ReMod-03.jpg

ReMod-04.jpg

RGB Fans from Akasa....

ReMod-06.jpg

Original case disassembly for transformation....

Strip-02.jpg

Not part of the 2nd run, but this was a Workmate/Patio Jig Saw chop to put the PSU Flat & give clearance for the lower chamber's pipework....

Strip-03.jpg

Rear Foot mount moved forward to clear PSU new Air intake....

Strip-04.jpg

Adjustment now completed, here's the rebuild....

Strip-05.jpg

Strip-06.jpg

Still unsure which way to mount these Distro Plates from Phanteks....

Strip-07.jpg

Strip-08.jpg
[Reply]
Kin Hell 10:32 15th July 2023
Finally figured out the best orientation for the Phanteks Distro Plates....

Running-01.jpg Running-02.jpg

....Excitement almost at an unprecedented & explosive level....

Running-03.jpg

Running-04.jpg

Running-05.jpg

This was the third attempt.... The Lower tube to the Gfx card is the feed tube to the Water block. Really not happy with the Aesthetics of that damned pipe at all & it will be re-worked the first time the System has to be drained. - Such a hard tube to bend as it changes directions so many times.

Running-06.jpg

This box from Germany via UPS took three months to get here. - Not impressed UPS!!

Water Components-01.jpg

WaterComponents-02.jpg

WaterComponents-03.jpg

WaterComponents-04.jpg WaterComponents-05.jpg

WaterComponents-06.jpg

Just for you J T

Sweet-01.jpg

Sweet-02.jpg

Sweet-03.jpg

Sweet-05.jpg

More.....

Sweet-06.jpg

Sweet-07.jpg

Originally Posted by Kin Hell:
So it all started Back in December 2021 & I allowed myself to be fleeced by Overc0ckers.co.uk over 600 bucks for 32GB Dual Channel DDR5 ram.

DDR5 was like hens teeth at the time so ended up paying three times what it costs now. The Motherboard blew me for £940 & the CPU was a stiff £650 event. - So many sexual sounding events.... But was there any pleasure?
Well, it's all gravy now, but....

Hell.... Yeah!!
[Reply]
Harrison 07:23 16th July 2023
Very impressive and beautiful looking build. Would be ashame to hide it on the ground.

Quite a big case though.

So have you managed to benchmark it yet?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up