Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: Do you own a PS3?
Demon Cleaner 06:00 4th May 2007
Originally Posted by :
First off, playing this on a 40" 1080p set looks Bloody Amazing
Due to a greater resolution, LCD screens can display the 1080p signal, my plasma only does 1080i, but it also looks great in 720p, which I use with my HDMI DVD player.

I tried 1080i and 720p to compare both, but didn't barely see any difference, I think 720p is even the better configuration. Plasma must be over 50" to display 1080p.
[Reply]
J T 12:58 4th May 2007
You've got a Panasonic 37PV50 right DC? I seem to remember that from the old forum. We've got the 37PX60 and it can accept 1080i signals but it rescales them (down) to it's own resolution which is what yours would be doing too. For that reason I set my HD cable box to output in 720p. I too barely noticed a difference in picture between outputting 1080 and 720 - and wasn't expecting it to really as the screen's native resolution isn't that high in compariosn to LCDs, so stuck with 720p (indeed, the onscreen programme guide text looks a little bit better when set to 720, as the screen isn't rescaling the picture and messing about with the signal so much).

I've always preferred the colour and motion on plasma over LCD, so what we lose in total pixel numbers we gain in other areas in my book.

Like I always say though, each to their own and the picture I like best may not be what others like best.
[Reply]
Teho 14:09 4th May 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Some great thoughts there Teho. Which HDTV did you purchase?
A Samsung LE40F71. Pretty happy with it, it has the connectors I need, two HDMI and two Scart. Only bad thing is that it's PC connector is VGA, not DVI. But the PC image is more than good enough for me, so I'm not really complaining about that.

Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
I tried 1080i and 720p to compare both, but didn't barely see any difference, I think 720p is even the better configuration. Plasma must be over 50" to display 1080p.
I know many agrees that 720p in fact is better than 1080i. I don't know all the details, but I do know that it's not only the difference beteen interlaced and progressive images. 1080i is "forcing" a 1080 resolution on a 720 screen. It's not the same full 1920*1080 that a 1080p screen is showing. So there really is a big difference between 1080p and 1080i, at least technically. I guess you'll need a sharp eye to spot the difference in reality though. I haven't actually watched a 1080i image that much, so honestly can't say if there's that much of a difference. The reason I went for a 1080p screen is that I have the PS3 which does 1080p. And I thought if you're going to blow a lot of money on a new set anyway, might as well go all the way.
[Reply]
J T 14:13 4th May 2007
I would've like a plasma that could do 1080p but a 50 incher wouldn't really have sat right in our living room, and there was no way I could have talked the missus into it anyway
[Reply]
Harrison 15:36 4th May 2007
Originally Posted by J T:
I would've like a plasma that could do 1080p but a 50 incher wouldn't really have sat right in our living room, and there was no way I could have talked the missus into it anyway
Why is it that when women buy something and then "break" the news to you later you ave to agree what a nice purchase it was, whereas when we want to spend money on something we first are required to get approval from them?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:45 4th May 2007
You've got a Panasonic 37PV50 right DC?
Yep, it's the 37PV500E, to be exactly.
I've always preferred the colour and motion on plasma over LCD, so what we lose in total pixel numbers we gain in other areas in my book.
I also preferred plasma, but in the last month, LCD gets better and better.
Originally Posted by Teho:
A Samsung LE40F71.
Best screens you can get at the moment are Samsung, Panasonic and eventually Pioneer, who had problems with their latest plasmas, due to a foil behind the glass, which went slightly off, ruining the picture.
[Reply]
J T 15:53 4th May 2007
Why is it that when women buy something and then "break" the news to you later you ave to agree what a nice purchase it was, whereas when we want to spend money on something we first are required to get approval from them?

Good point, but then handbags and shoes don't often run into multiple thousands and dominate the entire living room, to be fair
[Reply]
Harrison 15:55 4th May 2007

Good point, but then handbags and shoes don't often run into multiple thousands and dominate the entire living room, to be fair
You sure about that? They definitely do once the number of shoes (and the new handbag that is required to go with each new pair of shoes) starts to grow!
[Reply]
J T 16:04 4th May 2007
That's what the wardrobe is for.

And the shoe rack.

And the cupboard in the hall.

And the spare bedroom.

And the garage.

And the loft.

Actually, I think you may well have a bloody good point there Harrison.
[Reply]
Submeg 21:20 4th May 2007
Im pretty sure a house is used for the sole (BA BOOM!) purpose of housing shoes
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up