Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Voodoo 2 card running on a modern Windows 10 PC
Harrison 12:51 31st May 2023
This guy has managed to get an original Voodoo 2 PCI card running on a current PC. He used a PCI to PCIe adapter (didn't know that existed), and then managed to force glide drivers to work.

Quite impressive seeing this working. I still have a couple of Voodoo 2 cards so it's tempting. But they are installed and working in my retro P2 Win98 system so I'm probably not going to bother.

[Reply]
Kin Hell 06:16 3rd June 2023
That you would ever want to do this.....

Pointless in terms of FPS but hey.... I've done that!
[Reply]
Harrison 16:46 3rd June 2023
Glide3D did have a unique look about it. The way it textures mapped and lighting etc. So for nostalgia, to see how the directly supported games looked on the hardware is a great retro temptation for anyone with only new hardware, or too young to have been there.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 06:38 4th June 2023
Yeah.... Glide was a thing unto itself.

Breathtakingly awesome in it's day.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:20 4th June 2023
I remember building a p2 system just to be able to setup a Voodoo 2 setup. The first time I ran Quake 2 was amazing. But then Unreal. The gameplay was mediocre but the detailed texturing that only Glide could do at the time was something else. Especially reflections, metal and water.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 15:09 9th June 2023
Indeed H.

My first puter was a PIII 450 Slot 1 affair, with 16Mb AGP Banshee for the desktop & 2 x PCI 12Mb Voodoo 2's in SLI....

Rig and a half in it's day.

SLI back then, was Scan Line Interleaving. Each card did a different line of horizontal render. Card 1 would do the Odd lines, 1, 3, 5, 7 etc & Card 2 did the Even lines, 2, 4, 6, 8 etc. - This yielded a 95% FPS increase.

When nVidia bought the SLI technology from STB, they called it Scale-able link Interface & was very driver orientated.
The best result I ever saw was 2 x 7950 GX2'2 (Quad Sli on two slots) running the game "Fear" through a DFI Lan Party AMD Mobo with an Opteron 165 CPU. Double the FPS in some areas of the game & the Mobo wasn't even endorsed by nVidia for SLI.

SLI is now of course dead & only for those chasing high numbers in benchmarks like 3DMark & such. Gaming is no longer supported & you have to have high end RTX3090 cards to do it. - RTX4 series have provision for SLI connections on the reference PCB's, but no one has released a card of this generation with the actual connectors, or implemented it that I know of.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up