Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Hiren's Boot CD PE
Harrison 14:36 11th February 2023
Remember the HiRen's boot CD?

This was a self booting Windows OS project that booted the OS directly from CD and contained a lot of utilities, tools and hardware drivers. It was very useful for testing, diagnosing and repairing a PC. Fixing HD issues, removing malware and viruses and running benchmarks.

There haven't been any official HiRen's releases since 2012, but I just discovered the community decided to resurrect the project recently. It now runs a self booting Windows 10 64bit PE (preinstallation environment).

They seem to be keeping it fairly up to date which is useful for virus and malware removal.

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 22:25 11th February 2023
I lately downloaded WSCC7 which is supposed to be something like the Hiren's, but didn't install it yet, completely forgot about it.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 08:09 12th February 2023
I downloaded Hirens Boot CD back in 2011 and I still use it a lot with older computers. I particularly like the Mini-XP, although the Mini-98 and Mini Linux are handy too.

I'll have to give the new version a go sometime as it will probably be much more useful for newer machines.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 15:37 9th June 2023
I finally downloaded the new Hirens image last night and copied it onto a USB flash drive.

Windows 10 boot pretty quickly, and compared to regular Windows 10, it actually seems quite usable.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 12:57 10th June 2023
I remember it well H.

My high end Asus Z690 board want's to install drivers by default after a fresh installation of Win 10. - All very clever stuff for those who don't know where to start.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up