Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Do you have a Smart home?
J T 02:27 10th January 2023
We've got some smart bulbs, which is our entry way into smart home stuff. It's neat being able to dim the bulbs without having to install dimmer switches, or to turn just some of them (but not all) off when we are watching TV. Plus, the kids like it when we make them flash funky colours.

At the moment our heating and cooling systems are in fine health and show no need for replacing, and to my knowledge aren't compatible with nay smart stuff. It would be neat to be able to control that remotely.

Our coffee machine has bluetooth, so I can turn it on and get it warmed up from my phone, as long as I am at home. I can also get it to start preparing a drink, which I imagine would be dead handy until I find someone has moved my cup from under the machine.
[Reply]
Harrison 09:29 10th January 2023
I was looking at smart coffee machines in a store the other day. My nice DeLongii expresso machine finally stopped working properly last year so I bought a cheap Amazon basics one to replace it just to tied me over. But wanted to get an all singing and dancing bean to cup machine eventually.

They make some really cool coffee machines now but some are mad money. Obviously the one I liked the most was £1500. There is a very nice DeLongii one around £300 that does everything I need but isn't a smart one, so will probably get that later in the year, or ask for next Christmas.

So I'm sticking with the cheap Amazon basics one for the moment. The thing is it looks a bit plasticy (my old one was nice chrome) and it does rattle and vibrate a bit, but it makes perfect expresso and only cost £46. You really can't complain about that.
[Reply]
J T 11:06 10th January 2023
We had the delonghi magnifica, it was a good machine and served us well. It still works but periodically throws and error. We'll put in in the caravan. We upgraded to a Dinamica. It seems pretty good but I'll need to fiddle with the settings to get it just right. I like that it has 'user profiles ' so I can set them ever so slightly different for me and Lady T (she likes it weaker but hotter. for example)
[Reply]
Harrison 13:43 10th January 2023
Sounds the same. My wife always moans I make it too strong and I have to add hot water to hers. And she also moans it's not hot enough.

It was the Magnifica I was thinking about. Was it worth buying? Although just looked and I can get the Dinamica for not much more.

We did have one by Dualit initially after my other one failed. I have a Dualit percolator and that's brilliant, and other things they make are always highly rated. It was secondhand but looked brand new. All still in the box with every accessory and all looked unused. Owner said they just couldnt work out how to use it. They sold it for about £50 (RRP was £170). It was the worst expresso machine I've ever used. Only successfully made a coffee 1 out of 4 times. It would either block if you tapped down the coffee slightly too much, or would somehow decide to fire tons of coffee grounds into the coffee. It got binned! Horrible thing.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up