Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Youtube advert blocker
Harrison 17:34 26th October 2022
Can anyone recommend an Adblocker for Android that will block adverts in the Youtube App?

I don't want to have to load everything through one of the apps that's basically a secure but basic browser. I'm looking for an app that runs in the background and blocks popups, notification requests and Youtube adverts.

I've been looking but there are a lot. Some look quite suspect, and others not really what I'm looking for. And free would be good.

Definitely not prepared to pay £11.99 a month just to get rid of adverts in Youtube.
[Reply]
J T 22:03 26th October 2022
The adverts on youtube are getting worse. What really annoys me, is when I'm watching youtube while doing the dishes, and because my hands are wet (or busy) I sometimes miss the 'skip' button and have to watch the whole advert - even worse is if another advert comes on and then it won't let me skip that one! AGH!

Even worse, are the adverts that come before videos on news articles. I'll be ****ed if I'm gonna watch a 30 second advert before watching a 20 second clip related to the news article.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 05:58 27th October 2022
I don't know if you can actually get rid of adds in YouTube
[Reply]
Harrison 09:11 29th October 2022
According to the app description for many they claim to, but I don't really want to start installing random Adblockers as I bet some have malware.

I might look at the Android magazines and see if any have reviewed these.

@JT. Exactly. They now force you to watch a whole 2 minute advert sometimes, after allowing you to skip one after 5 seconds. Is getting silly. Most annoying is right in the middle of a music video.

I'm sure they are doing this to try and force people to subscribe to remove the adverts. You can also now only access 4k videos with a premium subscription. But as I said above I'm not paying £11.99 a month for that if it had been £4.99 I might have considered it. But £11.99 is more than any other streaming service.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 11:13 29th October 2022
I have heard from other users that paying for a membership doesn't get rid of all the adverts....
[Reply]
Harrison 22:05 29th October 2022
Really? So what's the point? I would be really annoyed.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 13:30 30th October 2022
So would I & I won't be trying anytime soon, that's for sure.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:38 30th October 2022
It is really annoying that Youtube have locked all their 4K content behind this paywall too.

For £11.99 I would expect YT to start streaming original studio content within that price. Such as including films and series, in a similar way to Prime. After all, they already make a lot of money from advertising on every video, with only a very small percentage of that advertising revenue actually going to the creators.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 14:40 31st October 2022
Aye Harrison....

With the cost of living going through the roof, looks like there's another money-scam on it's way....
[Reply]
Harrison 21:25 31st October 2022
We are starting to see the internet slowly being locked behind paywalls. Greed and big corporations are destroying the freedoms of the internet for their own gain.

The original inventors of both the internet and www wanted it to be a global free and open network to share data and communicate. It started out this way in the 90s. But how much longer until everything is locked behind a paywall?

We need to fight to keep net neutrality and not let it be controlled by any specific country, government entity or corporation.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up