Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Glasses emojis
Harrison 00:43 14th October 2022
Has anyone else seen in the news a current campaign about glassed emojis?

Teens are getting upset that emojis don't represet people who wear glasses. WTF? At what point were emojis ever meant to represent the user as an avatar? They are an expression of feeling towards something.

They are also moaning that the most used glasses emoji is used to depict a nerd. I wear glasses and am a bit of a nerd, as is everyone here. Am I upset by that? Nope.

Have I ever even given thought to the emojis I use not looking like me or wearing glasses? No. It's never crossed my mind. They are mostly yellow icons to indicate an expression or feeling. Nothing more.

What next? The need for ethnic emojis because they are not black, brown, white? Or gender identifying ones, although I'm a bit worried how that would be depicted!

The youth of today needs to get a grip on reality.

The campaign taking place is for all emojis to have glasses wearing alternatives. Do these idiots even know how the internet works? Do they seriously think there is a central group of emojis everything taps into? That's a big can of Worms they might be opening for a problem that didn't exist. I coyld easily see the EU idiots voting in a requirement to use a standardised emoji set that contains equal representation.

Instead of emojis just being a fun icon to add to a post, they are actually taking them seriously.

One of the lead campaigners has now even been made an ambassador for glasses wearers. Oh dear. Wonder what the support group is called? Opening your eyes? We can see clearly now.

30 years ago there was a stigma about wearing glasses. Anyone who suddenly had to wear them brcame very self conscious or embarrassed. Even not wearing them unless absolutely needed. And you hardly ever saw anyone wearing glasses on the TV. That's since changed. So many people now wear glasses is really not even somwthing anyone notices any more. It's just a standard part of life. And actually many who would wear contacts years ago now often wear glasses. We don't need to over analyse wearing them any more. They are just accepted the same as shoes.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 09:05 16th October 2022
I hadn't seen the campaign, but I'm not too sure about "emojis" in general. Whenever I see these so called "emojis", they tend not to even look like faces or facial expressions. That's just bad graphic design in my opinion, but I suppose that's fashion trends for you.

What's wrong with the good old smileys?

[Reply]
Kin Hell 16:42 16th October 2022
Originally Posted by Kin Hell:
[not relevant snip....]

I had this sent to me on What'sApp a while back....

Attachment 1269

On the BBC News this morning, some whiney little four eyed tart is complaining about all Emojis having an option to wear Glasses...

Please... Per-lease.... STFU & F'k Off eh!
Ridiculous at it's very worst.
[Reply]
J T 01:52 17th October 2022
Is it now OK to hit someone wearing glasses? If so.... sweet.

If not, take off your glasses
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up