Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Free Guy
Harrison 14:50 21st August 2022
Free Guy is a new film on Netflix staring Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool), Jodie Comer (Killing Eve) and Joe Keery (Stranger Things).

This is another film about people in a video game, but I found this quite amusing because it completely takes the piss out of idiots that play games like COD, Fortnite, GTA5 online etc. GTA5 being the most obvious direct source.

It's about an NPC's AI in the game suddenly breaking its programing and becoming a self away person within the game. Gaining access to the player's abilities and becoming as powerful as anyone playing the game.

Touching on what it means to be a self aware AI in a virtual world. And what it would mean to shut down the server. Killing that artificial life form.

It takes the piss out of multiplayer games by showing the cliché reality behind them. A lot being 12 year old kiddies or 20 something guys living in their mum's basement. You get moments in the middle of an intense battle where the player will suddenly shout at their mum to turn the hoover off f.ex. It goes into great detail to also show just how stupid these multiplayer worlds are too. From the really stupid character customisation and clothing, to the weapons and transport. Plus the destruction and carnage. With the NPCs just going about their daily lives as if it was all normal repeating the same sentences and sayings.

Interesting film. Disconnect your brain before watching as it's not intellectual in anyway, but that's the point because it's making multiplayer shooters look as dumb as they are. The good conclusion though makes the point that multiplayer game are not and don't have to be like that. That gameplay doesn't need to be just about killing each other and destroying everything. That coop and RPG style multiplayer is just as good.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 17:55 21st August 2022
Watched it like 6 months ago, was indeed quite funny.
[Reply]
J T 00:55 22nd August 2022
It's a pretty good film, I enjoyed it.

Ryan Reynolds certainly has found a good niche playing characters that are handsome and funny. I'm wondering how much he's really acting, these days, or is he really just playing himself now.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:46 22nd August 2022
He's perfect for these roles because of his quirky characters. Have you seen Red Notice? I really enjoyed that one. Good action adventure.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 19:56 22nd August 2022
Yeah, Red Notice was good too.
[Reply]
J T 22:52 22nd August 2022
Yeah I enjoyed Red Notice - I like Dwayne Johnson too.
[Reply]
Harrison 07:46 23rd August 2022
Originally Posted by J T:
Yeah I enjoyed Red Notice - I like Dwayne Johnson too.
And he was in Free Guy too.
[Reply]
Kin Hell 12:26 29th August 2022
Free Guy. - Good Film.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up