Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Finally secured a PS5!
Harrison 09:40 16th December 2021
After being unsuccessful for so long I just finally managed to secure a PS5 disk version.

I received an email invitation directly from Sony on Tuesday saying I had been selected for their purchase invitation for today between 8-10am.

I wasn't convinced there would be any stock, but I followed the link and logged in and everything was in stock. Should be here by Monday.

Nice Christmas present to myself, and just right for the proper exclusives coming next year. Starting with GT7 in March, and then FF16 and FF7 part 2.

If anyone else is still trying to buy a PS5 log into your PS account and you can register for future interest in being entered into the purchase invitation scheme. I was unsuccessful with the first one, but selected this time in the second extended wave
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:56 16th December 2021
Nice. I won't get one, having still a huge back catalogue on the PS4 and I lately changed almost completely to PC gaming, because I thought that I didn't buy this big powerhouse just to use it with retro games and internet browsing, the RTX3090 wants to be fed. And I have to say that it just looks awesome, played Call Of Duty Black Ops Cold War, and that just looked gorgeous. At some point I found myself with a sniper rifle in a snowy mountain region, and whilst aiming, I noticed that in the back lens or glass of my scope I could see the whole background scene reflected in it, so I turned around slowly and my god, that was real time reflections in the glass with all the light and even snowflakes, wtf!
[Reply]
J T 22:52 16th December 2021
Sounds like impressive tech, DC, but did it make Generic Shooter ver 26 any more fun to play?
[Reply]
Harrison 11:22 17th December 2021
I wasn't in a hurry to buy a PS5 until recently. The lack of exclusive releases, and most games just as good on the PS4. But I've been looking to build a new PC for about 2 years now, but trying to find a 3080 is like hens teeth and the price they are artificially inflated to at the moment is silly and I'm not prepared to pay that much for just a GPU. Plus the new Intel CPUs have just released, so I will wait until they have been out a bit.

But it was really the announcement that Gran Turismo 7 was coming out in March 2022. I've always loved that game and never missed a release. In fact the very first one I finished the Japanese version before it was even released here. And the PS4 never saw a proper GT version. Plus later in the year we will get Final Fantasy 16, and then Final Fantasy 7 remake, part 2.

And the PS5 arrived already this morning. There is a Matrix tech demo everyone is talking about that I'm going to check out on there first.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 17:21 17th December 2021
Originally Posted by J T:
Sounds like impressive tech, DC, but did it make Generic Shooter ver 26 any more fun to play?
It was indeed fun, very good game.

I watched the Matrix tech demo with the Unreal 5 engine and it's indeed very impressive.

I play Forza Horizon 5 at the moment, it's breathtaking, no need for GT for me, I rather like the arcade style racers. Btw, I play Forza Horizon 4 on my OneXPlayer in 720p, looks awesome, runs great. Didn't install the 5 on it yet. But also GTA V is awesome on it, that runs even in 2K, excellent.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:54 18th December 2021
I'm going to replay GTA5 once my Steam Deck arrives, although I do already have it on PS4 and PC. Also will have to see how well Forza Horizon runs.

There is a rumour Steam are working with Microsoft to get gamepass working with the Steam Deck in its native Linux OS. Now that would be brilliant. Otherwise it would mean needing to install win11 on it instead, which I don't really want to do.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:12 22nd December 2021
Finally had time to set the PS5 up today. Impressed by how quiet it is, as no mechanical drive, and the fan never kicked it so far, so it was completely silient so far.

Looks really nice standing upright. I've never used a console like that before, always preferring them to be laid down, but it's obvious the PS5 was designed to be stood upright, and it looks great with the glowing edge lighting and quite minimalist look. And whilst it is quite large compared to any pervious consoles it doesn't look too big upright. On its side it looks a bit ugly and quite large.

Quite impressed with the number of ports and the layout.

I've only so far had time to finish the setup process, that needed a 900MB update, and a small controller firmware update. And then quickly play around with the UI and have a quick game of the preinstalled game Astro' Playroom.

I like how they have minimised the main homescreen UI. I always liked rhe PS4 UI but it was a bit cluttered with all the different rows and sections. The PS5 UI feels similar but simplified and streamlined, removing a lot, but everything is instantly easy to find if you are already used to the PS4. Only slight confusing bit was where the power off setting was located. Its no longer at the top right. Instead you have to press the options button to pull up an options strip that basically has most of the sections you find in the top row of a PS4 homescreen. Like this idea as it keeps the main screen cleaner, but you can pull up this options strip anytime now, even in games.

One thing you really notice compared to the PS4 is how fast loading time are with the M2 storage. And how fluid and slick it makes everything feel. I will definitely need to uograde the storage with a serving M2 in the new year. There are now mire compatible ones available including the required heatsink, so they should be dropping in price soon

Really like the new controller too. I wasn't convinced by all the talk of the dual heptic feedback, but the included game Astro's Playroom is like a PS5 demo showcase, and starts off by showing off some of the features of the controller. The one part of the heptic feedback that really impressed me was the triggers, which I wasn't expecting. With the controller off or not active, the 2 triggers L2 and R2 feel just like the PS4 ones. They are analogue and have a nice movement. But with heptic feedback they can be given resistance. In the demo it said to press them and they world only go half way before meeting a lot of resistance, then you had to squeeze them down fir the tendinitis distance until a final click that set an onscreen firework off. I want expecting that ability to alter the trigger's feel and how it functions. I can see that being a really useful feature for something like Gran Turismo.

The rest of the dual heptic feedback was really interesting too. Best way to describe it is like thinking of the old PS4 and earlier shock rumble like mono sound, and heptic like the release of stereo speakers. Able to shift the feeling around the controller, not just left or right rumble of different intensity.

The main Astro's Playroom is a platform game a bit like a simple version of Ratchet and Clank.

The PS5s graphics are obviously 4K and you can instantly see the cleaner higher resolution compared to the PS4. Not that the PS4 looks bad. And you can instantly feel the far better performance in game framerate and motion.

As for games. I was surprised after finishing setting up the system how many if the games in my library have PS5 versions. I hadn't realised it was quite so many. So I already have quite a few to get started with.

First I might install is Star Wars Fallen Order and maybe Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Also tempted to play through FF7 remake as the free PS5 upgrade is released today.

So, so far really happy with the PS5. I would say I'm definitely a PS5 fan over Xbox. I definitely buy games on Playstation over Xbox where possible. Although I've always also owned an Xbox to play any exclusives. But so far I don't own either the Series S or X. I will eventually buy a series X, but they are currently in far shorter supply than even the PS5, to the point Microsoft couldn't even get hokd of any for a tournament this week.

I've also always preferred the Playstation controller. Expect I always use an Xbox controller on PC. Mainly because most PX games autodetect them.

Will be interesting if support for the heptics of the PS5 controller could work with PC games.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 09:57 22nd December 2021
Glad you like it. I have always preferred using an XBox controller because of it's size, it just feels better in my hands. Not because of the layout, I like both. Although I tried playing Rocket League with an XBox controller, impossible, I'm so used to the PS4 controller layout for that game.

Keen on trying the new dual sense controller though.

Bought a Nacon REVOLUTION Unlimited Pro Controller for the PS4 because it's basically an XBox controller, but it's still wrapped since 3 months
[Reply]
Puni/Void 10:34 24th December 2021
Congrats on the PS5, Harrison!
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 01:02 20th January 2022
Btw, how much did you pay for the PS5?

There's a guy on eBay in Germany who sells one, he sold already many with positive feedback. He sells the disc version for 695€ and I thought that's quite an Ok price, too expensive yes, but considering that nobody has them in stock and in the beginning they sold for way over 1000€.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up