Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Big RetroArch announcement
Harrison 23:16 18th May 2021
The developer of RetroArch has announced they are going to be taking the project far more seriously now. Before it was just worked on in their spare time. Now it's going to be getting an update every 2 weeks!

Original announcement: https://www.pcgamesn.com/emulation/retroarch-roadmap
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 05:22 19th May 2021
Very good news. Latest update was quite long time ago. I mainly use it for LaunchBox, so I'm happy the cores get updated regularly to improve the compatibility and performance. The GUI needs definitely an overhaul, but as I have it running in the background as games launcher, it's not so important to me anymore.

Performance will have a major impact on handheld emulation though, I would like to see some improvements in that department.

Originally Posted by :
(Static Platforms) Add option to not restart RetroArch when launching content with the currently loaded core
That's already interesting, whereas not so important on PC, very useful for a lower spec handheld device.
[Reply]
J T 22:35 25th May 2021
Just occurred to me that the 'ch' at the end of RetroArch is probably pronounced as a hard 'k' sound (like archive, or Noah's boat) rather than what I had previously though - a soft 'ch' like the arch on a building (or archery)
[Reply]
Harrison 07:14 26th May 2021
There have been discussions about that. Some thought it stands for Architecture, as in the framework to run retro emulators. Others thought it stands for Archive. In both cases this could suggest pronouncing it as RetroArK, with a hard K.

But then this was dismissed entirely because recent conversations on discord have confirmed the pronunciation is Arch as in “archway”. But without any reason given. Maybe an arch over every retro system emulation? Or a bridge to reach all systems?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 09:44 26th May 2021
Or an arch enemy to Nintendo?
[Reply]
J T 00:11 27th May 2021
I'm going to go with an overarching platform/framework for retro stuff.

Arch also makes me think of the Acorn Archimedes, we had quite a few of those in secondary school but I don't know really how much use they actually got.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up